Stupid Software Question!

Lee-yoshi

Hi everybody! I just started on PHP development and decided that writing code in notepad is just not pratical anymore, havin learnt HTML & ASP in it! So I've downloaded Notepad++ as I've heard some good stuff about it. I've developed C++ applications in Visual Studio before and this seems quite similiar. I write the very basic PHP page (The first task on w3schools!), but it doesn't run - It makes my IE crash & the PHP doesn't appear in Mozilla FireFox. It is in a folder with IIS permissions, but just won't work. As both an idiot and a newbie, can someone please help me!! Please!!! Thanks.

Try posting your code so we can see what your trying to do. If your making a php script and it doesn't work. Again, Try posting your code. That way we can help you.

So you made this coding?

<html><body><?phpecho "Hello World";?></body></html>

You need webhosting tool to see PHP pages. For it example, xampp or wamp would be good since you are learning php, because it has sql server in same.

After you've downloaded Xampp OR Wamp you start apache server and put your website files to Xampp (htdocs folder) OR Wamp (www folder). After you add your files there you go to http://localhost/FILENAMEHERE.php or if its in folder inside www or htdocs folder example htdocs/practice2 you use http://localhost/practice2/FILENAME.php (Incase your file was FILENAME.php)

• 2 weeks later...

I eventually got it working. Spent an evening on Google and eventually found solutions relating to downloading and installing PHP, searching for one special file that isn't normally included with the PHP install files (As is always the case!), editing and allowing PHP on my IIS, and then changing my computers settings so that notepad isn't the default program for opening .php files, IE is! Thanks for your replies. And yes, it really was that basic code Mudsaf. So infuriating that it wouldn't work. But you seem to talk like I know what i'm doing, I don't even know what apache server is so gave up reading your post there lol! Cheers everyone. Sorry for not replying sooner. Appreciate the time you've taken to reply ^_^

Archived