Link Help

nstern2

Let me first say that this site has helped me a bunch. On to my question. I am using apache for my webserver and it is great, but I want to be able to link directly to my hard drive so that whoever connects to it can get files off of it. when I created the page I thought it would go something like <a href= \\m:\>. When I just Double click the file to test it, it works fine. When I connect to the website it doesn't work. It is as though it is looking for a file called "M". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, to my knowledge, I don't think you can let other people connect directly to your computer.Second, why would you even want people to connect to your computer? Can't you just upload everything to your web hoster and allow people to access your files like that. Giving people access to your computer is very risky. Personally I would never do that.

actually it is looking for a drive called M on the web server...if you want to share certain files you could setup a folder on the website an put the files you want people to see in their. You can give the website permissions to other parts of the web server (not your pc) but htis is very dangerous becuase it gives hackers and viruses more permissions to attack you.the only way for people to connect to your computer is through Remote Desktop Connection but that just shows your desktop on their pc.

Thought it was clear that I was hosting the site from my home pc. That being said I think it will be alot safer if I create an FTP server and a webserver and just link to the FTP. That way I can create a password for login and set restrictions and such. Thanks for the help.