External Text

ben3001

Ok i have my site here:http://medussa.atspace.com/medussa5.htmlAt the sides of i got 2 flash objects either side, at the moment im entering text manually but i would prefer if the text was opened from an external xml file. Ive tried to research into, but am finding it confusing. would anyone know how i would over come this?thanks in advance Ben

Ok i have my site here:http://medussa.atspace.com/medussa5.htmlAt the sides of i got 2 flash objects either side, at the moment im entering text manually but i would prefer if the text was opened from an external xml file. Ive tried to research into, but am finding it confusing. would anyone know how i would over come this?thanks in advance Ben

If you are just trying to pull in plain text as content, google flash external text file If you are trying to parse the XML file and use it dynamically, then that would be new territory for me as well.

If you are just trying to pull in plain text as content, google flash external text file If you are trying to parse the XML file and use it dynamically, then that would be new territory for me as well.

yea ive seen alot of them already thanks anyways. i need to be able to click links therefore i suppose xml is the best way forward but no site offers a good tutorial

• 2 months later...
yea ive seen alot of them already thanks anyways. i need to be able to click links therefore i suppose xml is the best way forward but no site offers a good tutorial

Hi Ben,I dont know how much of help my comments will be, but still just giving it a try.Try to load XML into your movie. Use the XML Object ( not component as I dont find it comfortable working with it)use
var myXML_xml:XML = new XML();myXML_xml.onLoad = function(success){// success = false if xml fails to loadtargetNode = myXML_xml.firstChild.firstChild.firstChild;linkName = targetNode.firstChild.nodeValue;linkTarget = targetNode.nextSibling.firstChild.nodeValue;generateMC(linkName);}function generateMC(linkName:String){    righTab_mc.tab1_mc.link_txt.text = linkName;}tab1_mc.onPress = function(){   // here you can write the navigation function, ie if you want to open a html or an swf or what ever. In case u want to open an html u can use getURL, or if it is an swf then u can have a look into MovieClipLoader class.}myXML_xml.ignoreWhite = true;myXML_xml.load("/myxmlfile.xml");

again for the above example you need to have the specific xml schema ie something like

<xml><tag1><linkText>Click here</linkText><linkTarget>"www.w3schools.com"</linkTarget></tag1></xml>

Hope I was of some help.Thank you