form validation

marquis

im doing a contest im witch we have to design a website. i have the website done and for it being my first on i though it was pretty good any how i was looking over the judges rubric and its sayed that all "forms are validated" i have no clue what that so i may be in the wrong forum but if someone could lead me in the righ direction on what that is and how to do it i would be very thankful

im doing a contest im witch we have to design a website. i have the website done and for it being my first on i though it was pretty good any how i was looking over the judges rubric and its sayed that all "forms are validated" i have no clue what that so i may be in the wrong forum but if someone could lead me in the righ direction on what that is and how to do it i would be very thankful
Had I to guess, I believe that this means that you're checking that the values people are entering are valid before the form submits.For example: if you have a form element for "e-mail" address, one would suppose that you're required to validate that the value the user enters is in e-mail format, like "sam@somedomain.com" and not in invalid format like "1ejkwno.23!", which is clearly not an e-mail address.Are you permitted to ask the judges what this means?

Is there someone other than a judge - perhaps an avdisor or a cohort who have been through this competition before who could give advice?Otherwise, can you post the rubric? It might be clearer to a fresh pair of eyes.

Application Design (150points)• Maintains state throughsessions with and withoutcookies• Encrypts highly sensitiveuser information• Forms fields are validatedbefore submission• Conditional logic is used toqualify SQL queries beforeexecuting them• Code is reused wherepossible (through includes,templates, or classes)• Code is original and not apre-built application1-71-71-71-71-71-78-158-158-158-158-158-1516-2216-2216-2216-2216-2216-2223-2523-2523-2523-2523-2523-25Administration (70 points)• Appropriate Web-basedreports are generated• Administrator has the abilityto add, modify and deletedata through a passwordprotected Web interface1-91-910-1810-1819-2719-2728-3528-35Grammar, Spelling,Punctuation, and Usage(25 points)0(3+ errors)5(2 errors)15(1 error)25(0 errors)TOTAL TECHNICAL POINTSSUMMARY TOTALS:Judge #1 (355 points maximum)FINAL TOTAL TECHNICALPOINTS(Subtotal divided by # of judges)Judge #2 (355 points maximum)Subtotalthat looks bad it was in a pdf file so thats as good as it get unless you want the entire file

If you ask me to interpret, then my original recommendation is exactly what this means. They were sparse about what the form fields would be exactly, so begin by anticipating that you have to validate that fields are at least not blank or not all spaces if indicated that they are required... or if no indication of required is given, then assume that ALL fields are required. Hope that helps.