RSS and XML

Guest live

I have a page with different topics.Its always being updated.When I update, do I have make a new RSS code and upload it to my FTP every time I have a new topic? Or for EACH topic? So if someone wants to read about my new car they can subscribe to my new rss feed but if they want to read about Job, they can subcrive to my Job rss feed and if someone wants to know everything, they can subcrive to EVERYTHING feed?So does this mean I have to make 3 different RSS files to upload to my ftp?Each time I add a new video, do I just go into my ftp, find the rss file and edit it it with the new information?Example. (this is from the turtoral)Today I put this on my ftp ..this is for an idivdual topic like my car! Because I always add new stuff to my car and video it.<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?><rss version="2.0"><channel> <title>W3Schools Home Page</title> <link>http://www.w3schools.com</link> <description>Free web building tutorials</description> <item> <title>RSS Tutorial</title> <link>http://www.w3schools.com/rss</link> <description>New RSS tutorial on W3Schools</description> </item></channel></rss>Tomorrow, I have a new video…so now I changeOnly this part title>RSS Tutorial</title> <link>http://www.w3schools.com/rss</link> <description>New RSS tutorial on W3Schools</description>????What is the purpose of those XML and RSS buttons? Why do people have Google buttons and yahoo buttons? What is the difference?? I thought that if you have the orange RSS button, that is all you need because people can just click on that to subscribe to your new content.PLEASE HELP ME! I’m not very Computer literate here….Thank you so much!!!

ok, you are a little all over the place with your post but I'll try to touch on all your concerns - just let me know if I miss anything . . . a.) Ideally, all this content would be databased. Then you could use a server side language like asp, php, or coldfusion to output your RSS feed. This approach would also allow you to have one URL to manage all your feeds. You'd simply have a URL parameter to determine the content that is included in your feed.b.) if you stay static, then you will need three feeds to accommodate the scenario you have outlined - one for cars, one for jobs, one with both. thats not that bad to deal with, is really just maintaining two areas of content and just copy-n-pasting into a third. Not idea, but manageable.c.) make sure your feed validates and I would recommend using v2.0:http://www.rssboard.org/d.) the RSS button is used a number of different ways and none are really right or wrong - it all depends on the context in which you use it. If you put the button on a web page that already has the titles of the articles featured in the feed, then it would be safe to assume that the button shuld link to the XML file. If the button is just placed in the footer of the site or some other random location as an advertisement or announcement that you offer RSS, then it would be linked to a page that defines RSS and how to use it then (in my opinion) at least provide links to the feeds that your site offers.e.) the Google vs Yahoo buttons is just a preference. It might even be relate to who is hosting the feed.f.) updates - personally, I would recommend that you NOT update an older feed with a video link. If you are not ready to post a new article/item in the fed then dont do it. Say, your video will be post ina a couple days. Then post a new item for that video - don't go back to the feed where it was mentioned an add the link to the video. RSS if chronoligic, so if I alreayd read the one feed, there is no reason to go back to see if it was updated - thats why you have new items added. I'd only be referencing the previous item if it had something I needed - a quote or other tid-bit of useful information.Hope this helps, let me know if I missed anything or if you have questions.

Thank you so much..yes it does help a bit. A little techy when you were talking about the databases and what not..but…its all good.Ok..so let me tell you how I’m trying to work my site..maybe it would be more clear.My home page will almost never change. My home page will just talk about what I am doing.Other pages will change. SO, I will have a page that talks about my car, and another page that will talk about my exciting nights out in Tokyo and so on. All pages are video oriented. Except my home page and my directory page..But as you see, they have nothing to do with each other.So, I figure, I should have ONE page that lists all the things that I’m doing. Kind of like a directory.My car (click here to go to my car page)My night out (click here to go to my party in Tokyo page)My friend acting stupid (click here to go to my friend acting stupid page)So, on this directory page, should I have an rss, google and all that other stuff on here…(the diretory page might be up dated by me daily) AND THEN, lets say, someone is very interested in my car page (which is only updated once a week), but could care less about the other stuff…so On my car page I would ALSO have rss, google and stuff.Or, say someone just wants to know everything, then they can click on another button to subscribe to the Directory where I will always be updating what I’m doing.So now say they are interested in my car. They subscribe to my car page only. This week I have only ONE video me working on my car…but next week, I take off that video from my FTP/ website and I replace it with me doing something different to my car. I will also replace the information in my directory to match.So, in my directory with my 1st video, rather than a video, it will be a photo, click on the photo go to the page with the video. And of course the photo on the directory will also change.So now, assuming all this is correct. In my code..what part of my code to I plug into the feed valuator? And MUST my code contain the text “rss”? I really apprcaeat you’re help. I’m very new at this..THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!

...So now, assuming all this is correct. In my code..what part of my code to I plug into the feed valuator? And MUST my code contain the text “rss”? I really apprcaeat you’re help. I’m very new at this..THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!
I"m not sure what you mean by "feed valuator" and what you are trynig to clarify about include the test "rss" in your code.Are you talking about the code fro your feed or the code fro the web page?As for the video, unless you have bandwidth restrictions, I would not take a video down if it was linked to in a feed. And I would not update an old feed to remove the video and replace it with a picture. This is going to make users upset if they can't later reference something they have found interesting - you are basically say , thanks fro coming back to my site - sorry I removed the reason you came back. The return visitor is the buried treasure of a website, its the Vince Lombardi trophy, its the prized possession. Use a third party media service like photobucket.com so that you do not have to remove content.