Timer Problem

ChipChamp007

Okay, I'm using the example on W3Schools for making a timer, and it works fine. The only problem is that if I were to click the start button again and again it starts counting quicker and quicker. How can I make it so that when I click on it again it restarts at 0, and doesn't get any faster?EDIT: Could somebody please move this to the JavaScript section? Sorry!

Okay... well the problem happens on this code: (Directly from tutorial)

<html><head><script type="text/javascript">var c=0var tfunction timedCount(){document.getElementById('txt').value=cc=c+1t=setTimeout("timedCount()",1000)}</script></head><body><form><input type="button" value="Start count!" onClick="timedCount()"><input type="text" id="txt"></form><p>Click on the button above. The input field will count for ever, starting at 0.</p></body></html>

Ah, each time you click the button, a new timer starts. So, if you click the button three times, there will be three timers, each of which will be increasing your c variable by one. This would explain why you are seeing the counter speed up when you click the button multiple times. You'll need to have a separate function that happens when a user clicks on the button. This function will stop any timers that happen to be running and will reset the counter to 0.Perhaps something like this will help:

<html><head><script type="text/javascript">var c = 0;var t;function startTimer(){    // first step, if there is a timeout happening, let's clear it.    if (t)    {        clearTimeout(t);    }    // second step, let's reset the counter to 0    c = 0;    // finally, let's start the timer    timedCount();}function timedCount(){    document.getElementById('txt').value = c;    c++; // this is the same as c=c+1    t = setTimeout("timedCount()",1000);}</script></head><body><form><input type="button" value="Start count!" onClick="startTimer()"><input type="text" id="txt"></form><p>Click on the button above. The input field will count for ever, starting at 0.</p></body></html>