clickable invisible links

waaler

Hello, I have an image over which I want to place invisible links in order to create a menu. I've read on other pages that this is possible, but when I do it my browser IE7 doesn't recognise that something is there. It seems to me that the link is there but because it is invisible IE7 doesn't recognise it. Ok, that's logical, but why do two other websites cite this as a way of making more interesting menus without using image maps. Here is my code, but it seems to me to be impossible, but if that's so, why have I found two pages saying it is. Please help!HTML

<body><a href="../editorials.htm" class="editorials"><em>editorials</em></a><a href="../letters.htm" class="letters"><em>letters</em></a><a href="../portraits.htm" class="portraits"><em>portraits from the woods</em></a><a href="../subscribe.htm" class="subscribe"><em>subscribe</em></a><a href="../siteinfo.htm" class="siteinfo"><em>Site information</em></a><a href="../archive.htm" class="archive"><em>archive</em></a>

CSS

em {visibility: hidden}a.editorials {position: absolute; top: 57px; left: 55px; font-size: 25px}a.letters {position: absolute; top: 12px; left: 195px; font-size: 25px}a.portraits {position: absolute; top: 100px; left: 170px; font-size: 24px}a.subscribe {position: absolute; top: 20px; left: 805px; font-size: 24px}a.siteinfo {position: absolute; top: 60px; left: 755px; font-size: 24px}a.archive {position: absolute; top: 100px; left: 785px; font-size: 24px}

What site said that?I don't get what you are doing....why would you want it invisible?

What site said that?I don't get what you are doing....why would you want it invisible?

to start..<em> is not a valid tag anymore that i'm aware of..There are a few ways to do what you want.The best way, is a background image..then place your links in the normal way.invisible links are likely to get your site banned from search engines, as its classed as cloaking (i think). bots should read what people see. Anyway, if your links are invisible..how are people supposed to see them to click them?And why have you got classes for each link? Theres much better ways using CSS to space them apart, with less code and thats much easier to control too.

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

to start..<em> is not a valid tag anymore that i'm aware of
Ok, could well be, though it is still listed in the css reference section on this site, and I don't think it's the problem.
invisible links are likely to get your site banned from search engines, as its classed as cloaking (i think). bots should read what people see.
Tha i didn't know (like so much) but i still want to solve this problem, even if only to know how to do it.
Anyway, if your links are invisible..how are people supposed to see them to click them?
The idea is that the invisible links are placed of the image with much nicer looking links beneath them, so the people will see the nice looking links, click on them and hey presto. The invisible links serve the function of making certain parts of the image clickable.
And why have you got classes for each link? Theres much better ways using CSS to space them apart, with less code and thats much easier to control too.
That I'll get to later.

The names of the sites aren't really important. The idea of invisible links over an image is to make certain parts of the image clickable. You can of couse use an image map to do this, but if it's possible with CSS then it's much quicker to render any future changes to the layout. i.e. not having to go through every page and changing the coordinates on the image map.