Regex: Syntax highlighting

Rantzien

Well, this is not directly PHP, but I'm writing it in PHP, and it's also the language I'm currently trying to style. :) Anyway, I am trying to make a function to highlight code syntax properly (for example, giving strings one style, keywords another style, operators yet another style). Now, I hit an obstacle that I have trouble finding my way around.Consider this code:"foo ${"sometext"} bar" . "a little more text"The desired result is this:"foo ${"sometext"} bar" . "a little more text"That is, I want the string regex to match: "foo ${"sometext"} bar", "sometext" and "a little more text", which I then wrap with <span> tags to get the desired result.The variable within the string is already formatted, with this regex (pattern -> replacement):"/[$]{1,2}\{.*\}/sU" -> "<span class=\"default\">$0</span>"What I am confused about is this: I don't want the string regex to be a simple greedy one, like this: "/\".*\"/s" (since it would match everything from the first to the last double quote). But I don't want it to be a simple ungreedy one either, like this: "/\".*?\"/s" (since that would match "foo ${", "} bar" and "a little more text").I've tried doing: /".*(\{)?.*\1.*"/sU, but that makes the function fail. If you can help me, I'd be very grateful.

So is this just a regexp question? Cause I hate to burst your bubble, but PHP already has a built-in PHP syntax highlighter:http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.highlight-string.phpBut, if you're just doing this for the learning value, then.. well, someone who knows more about regular expressions I'm sure will be right along to help you. If I was doing this, I probably wouldn't use regexp, I would probably just use some string parsing functions, maybe strtok, and keep track of things like opened and closed quotes, escaped quotes, etc myself.

So is this just a regexp question? Cause I hate to burst your bubble, but PHP already has a built-in PHP syntax highlighter:http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.highlight-string.php
Oh my, I didn't know of that function. Thanks :)
But, if you're just doing this for the learning value, then.. well, someone who knows more about regular expressions I'm sure will be right along to help you. If I was doing this, I probably wouldn't use regexp, I would probably just use some string parsing functions, maybe strtok, and keep track of things like opened and closed quotes, escaped quotes, etc myself.
Well, I was partly doing this for training, but also to have it ready in case I needed it. And yeah, I recently scrapped the idea of using regular expressions in favour of parsing the string, although it's complex.There aren't any similar built-in functions for parsing other languages, are there?Thanks for your help!

No, you can either highlight a string of code or an entire file with highlight_string and highlight_file, but it only highlights PHP. You may be able to find PHP highlighters for other languages though if you bust a Goog.

No, you can either highlight a string of code or an entire file with highlight_string and highlight_file, but it only highlights PHP. You may be able to find PHP highlighters for other languages though if you bust a Goog.
I figure I could, but if it's not built in I might as well do it myself :)