RSS XML Feed

Rasputin_RU

I've been very interested in this feed and read a lot info on that, also in this very forum i found an interesting thread (about it later).I was looking at www.w3scools tutorial etc, i do not understand few things. can xml be search like database, and only results that you relevant to the search displayed?Is xml it self is database? i understand that it holds and describe data, but database does even more. it is more flexible?Also i tried in w3schools tutorial to do this example where you input info from html through asp to xml file and it does not work.And finally there was in one of threads advice written that you either use xml or ms access database not both. but if i run an affiliate site, which is run on feed, huge amount of feed, and i want to add some rss feed to it using info from my database, what is the easiest way to achieve that?Thank you for all the help

I'll try to address your questions but I admit to being a little confused about what exactly you are asking - this could because you might not fully understand XML. So here it goes . . .XML is sort of like a database in that all it does is store information. The XML part of it is the concept that a tag defines information.

<table><record><firstname>xxxxx</firstname><lastname>xxxxx</lastname><emailaddress>xxxxx</emailaddress></record><record><firstname>xxxxx</firstname><lastname>xxxxx</lastname><emailaddress>xxxxx</emailaddress></record></table>

If this was your XML and you saved it as database.xml then you should get an idea about how they are similar.XML is not functional, all it does is lay things out - organizes it. You have to use HTML, or XSL, or a server side scripting language to extract information and/or present it on a web page.As for searching, yes it is indeed possible to search through an XML document and return the information you find, but it is more involved and more complicated than querying a database. The difference between a database and XML is SQL - XML has no clue what that is and a database does which is why you can use it to returned structured results. So, aside from the fact that you should NEVER really use MS Access as a web related DB, the two are exclusive. So you would never ask whether you should use on or the other. Ideally, you would store information you want to share with the world in a database and you would have an administration tool built to maintain that data. Then you would use a server side scripting language like phps, asp, or coldfusion to query the data from the database and create the XML from that. Then the XML would be available to the world fromt he URL to the page that creates it.I doubt this completely addresses your concerns, but maybe it is information that will help you restate your needs. So if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.