select reverse

midnite

excuse me, let's say i have totally 10 seats numbered from 1 to 10 and people are randomly sitting on them.Yet, currently there are only 3 people and i have the table recorded:

+------+------+|  ppl | seat |+------+------+| andy |	7 ||  jen |	4 ||  amy |	3 |+------+------+

and now i would like to list out the blank seats

+------------+| blank_seat |+------------+|		  1 ||		  2 ||		  5 ||		  6 ||		  8 ||		  9 ||		 10 |+------------+

the idea is to list out the elements that the current table DO NOT have and its seat id is less than 10. i got the idea but don't know how to write the query. Thanks for helping in advance :]

I think it would be nice if SQL had a syntax that allows you to say "Select incrementer as seats_available from some_table where incrementer between 1 and 10".I don't think you can actually get SQL to select a dynamic range like that, unless you have a table that lists all the possible seats. You probably need to handle your output by serverside code, by running through a loop of occupied seats and displaying only the unfilled seats.