XHTML 1.1 and directly embedded SVG

Guest FirefoxRocks

Guest FirefoxRocks

Please take a look at this page: SVG TutorialNow take a look at the validation result: W3C ValidatorHow come it says that 'element "svg:stop" undefined'? Everything else with the namespace of svg: works because I declared it properly. It even appears correctly in supported browsers. Why is it not validating?

Scince the rest of the code validates, I don't really have a clue as to what could be wrong. Have you tryed validating the SVG graphic as a stand alone XML file (with a DTD and everything)? If it validates then, this would become even more puzzling. Perhaps a validator bug or errata in the DTD.

Guest FirefoxRocks

I have tried validating the standalone SVG file, and it validates, even if I declare the svg namespace for each element and the the xmlns:svg attribute.

The only thing I could suggest is that you try using

<svg xmlns="..." ...>...</svg>

instead of

<svg:svg ...>...</svg:svg>

Because, as far as I'm aware, DTDs are not schema aware (excuse the pun) and it could be that in the original DTD, namespace prefixes were not used.If that doesn't work, you should report this issue to the W3C validator team. Send them the URL of both the stand alone SVG (to prove the SVG itself is valid) and the XHTML page (to prove that is the only error).