phpMyAdmin yroot user

astralaaron

does anyone have any idea why I cannot connect as the yroot user?when i installed phpmyadmin I made a username "astralaaron" but when I look at my privlages it is only 'usage'and there is a user called 'yroot' with all privlages.I looked at the help files at yahoo (they are hosting my space) and it directed me to the table called mysql and the table userson this table it shows yroot user and a long password of numbers and letters. and it shows my "astralaaron" name also with a similar password which is not the password that I log into phpMyAdmin with. it also shows privilages there and yroot has Y for every one of them, and astralaaron has N for all of themI have been trying to connect to my database from a phpfile and everytime it turns up a blank page. I contacted yahoo on the phone and this guy had me on the phone for 30 minutes putting me on hold constantly and finnaly he told me he knew nothing about phpMyAdmin or MySQL and that no one there at yahoo could help me. does anyone know about the yroot user? and why I cannot connect as the yroot user.. and why it just turns up a blank page when I load the php program that is suposed to show a table from my database?

The blank page is probably because errors are disabled. You can try adding this to the top:ini_set("display_errors", 1);error_reporting(E_ALL);But, they might have PHP running in safe mode, and they might have the ini_set function disabled, which would mean you would not be able to enable error messages on screen. They still might be saved to a log. Create a blank PHP file and put this in it and run it:<?phpphpinfo();?>You can check the configuration settings, and see if safe mode is on, if display_errors is off, etc.If you want to change the permissions for your user, you should be able to do it through phpMyAdmin. Update the users table to give your user permissions for whatever you need, or there might also be another area where you can edit MySQL users with a GUI. Also, there is someone at Yahoo that knows exactly what is going on, you just didn't talk to them. It's hard to say though, I don't know anything about the hosting environment at Yahoo and what security settings they are using, so I can't really say what else the problem might be. I would imagine that they probably have things locked down pretty tightly, being as big as they are. If you can't get things worked out with them like you want, then you might consider going somewhere else.

The blank page is probably because errors are disabled. You can try adding this to the top:ini_set("display_errors", 1);error_reporting(E_ALL);But, they might have PHP running in safe mode, and they might have the ini_set function disabled, which would mean you would not be able to enable error messages on screen. They still might be saved to a log. Create a blank PHP file and put this in it and run it:<?phpphpinfo();?>You can check the configuration settings, and see if safe mode is on, if display_errors is off, etc.If you want to change the permissions for your user, you should be able to do it through phpMyAdmin. Update the users table to give your user permissions for whatever you need, or there might also be another area where you can edit MySQL users with a GUI. Also, there is someone at Yahoo that knows exactly what is going on, you just didn't talk to them. It's hard to say though, I don't know anything about the hosting environment at Yahoo and what security settings they are using, so I can't really say what else the problem might be. I would imagine that they probably have things locked down pretty tightly, being as big as they are. If you can't get things worked out with them like you want, then you might consider going somewhere else.
hey thanks for the reply.There is an area in phpMyAdmin to add users, the problem is my username does not have permission.. the only one with all permissions is the user 'yroot' which i cannot connect to.. even with the password they have in the mysql database 'users' tableI will try the things you said when I get home thanks!