Stopping document.write from clearing everything else on the page

lord_chemo

Ok, I'm trying to make a page which has to create a table depending on a value given by the user. I can do this with prompts, but I want to do it with an input box, and then a button. I can make it generate the table correctly, but it deletes all the other coding on the page. I want it to make the table beneath the button The coding I have is this... <body><form name="stbc"><table><tr> <td> Number of Days </td> <td> <input type="text" name="daysfield" size="10" /> </td></tr><tr> <td> Budget for each day </td> <td> <input type="text" name="budgetfield" size="10" /> </td></tr></table><input type="button" value="Calculate" onClick="createBudget()" /></form><br /><br /><script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">function createBudget(){var days; var budget; var total;days = document.stbc.daysfield.value;budget = document.stbc.budgetfield.value; total = days * budget;document.write( "<table border='1'><tr><th>Days</th><th>Budget</th><th>Actual</th></tr>" ) for (var i = 1 ; i <= days ; i++) { document.write( "<tr>" ) document.write( "<td align='right'>" + i + "</td>" ) document.write( "<td align='right'>" + budget + "</td>" ) document.write( "<td> </td>" ) document.write( "</tr>" ) } document.write( "<tr><th>" + "Total Days" + "</th><th>Total Budget</th><th>Actual Total</th></tr>" ) document.write( "<tr><td align='right'>" + days + "</td><td align='right'>" + total + "</td><td> </td></tr>" ) document.write( "</table>" )}</script></body>

Replace the createBudget function with this

function createBudget(){var days; var budget; var total;var output;days = document.stbc.daysfield.value;budget = document.stbc.budgetfield.value; total = days * budget;output="<table border='1'><tr><th>Days</th><th>Budget</th><th>Actual</th></tr>";for (var i = 1; i <= days; i++) { output+= "<tr>";output+= "<td align='right'>" + i + "</td>";output+= "<td align='right'>" + budget + "</td>";output+= "<td> </td>";output+=  "</tr>";} output+=  "<tr><th>" + "Total Days" + "</th><th>Total Budget</th><th>Actual Total</th></tr>";output+=  "<tr><td align='right'>" + days + "</td><td align='right'>" + total + "</td><td> </td></tr>";output+= "</table>";document.getElementById("result").innerHTML=output;}

and at the end of the document between the last two BR tags insert this

<div id="result"></div>

This will place the value of output into the result div.

Archived