Remove an array member

boen_robot

I need to remove a certain element in an array. The problem is it's position is unknown, so I can't simply call unset($array[0]) for example.I tryed looping with foreach and then check up on the members, like so:

<?php	function myFunction() {		$array = array('a','b',4,7);		foreach ($array as $member) {			if ($member == 4) {				unset($member);			}		}		return $array;	}print_r(myFunction());?>

but that doesn't work. In the end, the array is still full. Removing the condition (hypothethically removing every $member) doesn't work either.So how exactly to remove an array member, leaving the members not matching the criteria alone?P.S. Damn. Arrays seem to be the most cumbersome thing to work with. I'm betting only SQL (in all of it's forms) could get more tricky in the simplest of situations.[edit]OK. The "for" loop seems to do the job. Still, could it be done with foreach somehow? It's just that I try to avoid "for". Call it a personal preference if you want.[/edit]

Hi.. for unset() u have to pass array element with ke like $arr[1] but u has passed value so.. it wont work... Replace your myfunction with follwoing.. you will get it.. function myFunction() { $array = array('a','b',4,7); foreach ($array as $key=>$val) { if ($val == 4) { unset($array[$key]); } } return $array; } Regards Vijay

Neat trick. Thanks. That actually also solved an issue that appeared shortly after I started testing with "for" (that alone should explain why am I trying to avoid it).

Archived