xsl compare previous node

henny

hi there,I've an agenda.xml with mutilple entries per monthand I would like to create a separator when the month changes ( add month-name and horizontal line to the report )I use this code in my XSL ( I've left out the agenda formatting to concentrate on the separator issue )

<!-- agenda header -->  <xsl:for-each select="agenda/activity[hidden = 0]">	<xsl:choose>	  <xsl:when test="position() = 1">		<tr><td width="100%" colspan="2"><xsl:value-of select="month"/></td></tr>		<tr><td width="100%" height="2" colspan="2" bgcolor="Navy"></td></tr>	  </xsl:when>	  <xsl:otherwise>		<xsl:if test="preceding::month[1] != month">		  <tr><td width="100%" colspan="2"><xsl:value-of select="month"/></td></tr>		  <tr><td width="100%" height="2" colspan="2" bgcolor="Navy"></td></tr>		</xsl:if>	  </xsl:otherwise>	</xsl:choose>  <!-- the agenda follows -->  </xsl:for-each>

this works fine, but only if I don't have a hidden item at the beginning of the monththat is very strange, because in my " <xsl:for-each select " I filter out all the hidden itemsand still they appear in the preceding::month[1] comparisonany clue to avoid this ??thx in advance - gr. Henny

How about making the 0 a string. Like so:<xsl:for-each select="agenda/activity[hidden = '0']">

Then maybe if you add additonal predicate in preceding itself for the hidden element:preceding::month[1][[hidden = 0]

I'm going to have to take this to the lab... any sample XML you could give?

here you go - I've stripped out some content to make the files smaller and sorry for the Dutch words ;-)in this example the month of September is not inserted as separatorbecause the 1st entry of september is an hidden entryXSL

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0"><xsl:template match="/"><html><body><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" width="90%" align="center">	<tr>		<td width="30%" valign="top" class="agenda_header">Datum</td>		<td width="70%" valign="top" class="agenda_header">Omschrijving</td>	</tr>	<xsl:for-each select="agenda/activiteit[hidden = 0]">		<xsl:if test="(position() = 1) or (preceding::maand[1] != maand)">			<tr><td width="100%" colspan="2" valign="top" class="agenda_subheader"><xsl:value-of select="maand"/></td></tr>			<tr><td width="10%" height="2" colspan="2" bgcolor="Navy"></td></tr>		</xsl:if>		<tr>			<td width="30%" valign="top" class="agenda_record{position() mod 2}"><xsl:value-of select="datum"/></td>			<td width="70%" valign="top" align="left" class="agenda_record{position() mod 2}"><xsl:apply-templates select="omschrijving"/></td>		</tr>	</xsl:for-each></table></body></html></xsl:template><!-- 	enkele tekst formatting templates --><xsl:template match="br">   <br /></xsl:template><xsl:template match="b">	<span style="font-weight:bold"><xsl:value-of select="."/></span></xsl:template><xsl:template match="i">	<span style="font-style:italic"><xsl:value-of select="."/></span></xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

It's a bit messy and unefficient solution, as the processor has to loop over hidden months and dates too, but it works:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0"><xsl:output indent="yes"/><xsl:template match="/"><html><body><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" width="90%" align="center">	<tr>		<td width="30%" valign="top" class="agenda_header">Datum</td>		<td width="70%" valign="top" class="agenda_header">Omschrijving</td>	</tr>	<xsl:for-each select="agenda/activiteit">		<xsl:if test="(position() = 1) or (preceding::maand[1] != maand)">			<tr><td width="100%" colspan="2" valign="top" class="agenda_subheader"><xsl:value-of select="maand"/></td></tr>			<tr><td width="10%" height="2" colspan="2" bgcolor="Navy"></td></tr>		</xsl:if>		<xsl:if test="hidden = 0">		<tr>			<td width="30%" valign="top" class="agenda_record{position() mod 2}"><xsl:value-of select="datum"/></td>			<td width="70%" valign="top" align="left" class="agenda_record{position() mod 2}"><xsl:apply-templates select="omschrijving"/></td>		</tr>		</xsl:if>	</xsl:for-each></table></body></html></xsl:template><!-- 	enkele tekst formatting templates --><xsl:template match="br">   <br /></xsl:template><xsl:template match="b">	<span style="font-weight:bold"><xsl:value-of select="."/></span></xsl:template><xsl:template match="i">	<span style="font-style:italic"><xsl:value-of select="."/></span></xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

[edit]Actually, here's a more efficient solution:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0"><xsl:output indent="yes"/><xsl:template match="/"><html><body><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" width="90%" align="center">	<tr>		<td width="30%" valign="top" class="agenda_header">Datum</td>		<td width="70%" valign="top" class="agenda_header">Omschrijving</td>	</tr>	<xsl:for-each select="agenda/activiteit[hidden = 0]">		<xsl:variable name="curPos" select="position()"/>		<xsl:if test="(position() = 1) or (../activiteit[hidden = 0][position() < $curPos][position() = last()]/maand != maand)">			<tr><td width="100%" colspan="2" valign="top" class="agenda_subheader"><xsl:value-of select="maand"/></td></tr>			<tr><td width="10%" height="2" colspan="2" bgcolor="Navy"></td></tr>		</xsl:if>		<tr>			<td width="30%" valign="top" class="agenda_record{position() mod 2}"><xsl:value-of select="datum"/></td>			<td width="70%" valign="top" align="left" class="agenda_record{position() mod 2}"><xsl:apply-templates select="omschrijving"/></td>		</tr>	</xsl:for-each></table></body></html></xsl:template><!-- 	enkele tekst formatting templates --><xsl:template match="br">   <br /></xsl:template><xsl:template match="b">	<span style="font-weight:bold"><xsl:value-of select="."/></span></xsl:template><xsl:template match="i">	<span style="font-style:italic"><xsl:value-of select="."/></span></xsl:template></xsl:stylesheet>

btw, may I say this is one of the worst tables I've seen. You can achieve the same (if not even better) effect with lists and maybe, just maybe <hr />, though that's not exactly a best practice either.[/edit]

Archived