Regular Expressions

porzant

This will get you closer..var str = ...if (/[0-9]+/.exec(str)) {}However, the problem with JS regular expressions is they're not greedy. The above will match a part of the string..so if your string is "b2", it will return ["2"]. What you may want is something like:if (/[0-9]+/.exec(str) != null && /[0-9]+/.exec(str)[0].length == str.length) {}

What I mean is somewhere on this site there's an example, where you can't post numbers because it's got /d/ somewhere.I want to put [0-9] in that place so it's only numbers, but I'm not sure where it goes, does it go in the value attribute?

This expression will match only numbers - /^[0-9]+$/ - if there is a match, then the variable only contains numbers.Or, you could do the opposite and look for anything but numbers - /[^0-9]/ - if there is a match then there is a non-numeric character in the string.

var test1 = "556502";var test2 = "55g5O2";var reg = /^[0-9]+$/;if(test1.match(reg)){	alert(test1 + " is a number.");}if(test2.match(reg)){	alert(test2 + " is a number.");}

Also, keep in mind that javascript has a built in number checker: isNaN();

var test1 = "556502";var test2 = "55g5O2";if(isNaN(test1)){	alert(test1 + " is not a number.");}if(isNaN(test2)){	alert(test2 + " is not a number.");}

You can adapt that code like so:

<html><body><script>function noLetters(e){	// Get the event object for IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.	e = (e) ? e : window.event;	// Get the code for which key was pressed (IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.)	var char = (e.which) ? e.which : e.keyCode;	// Get the actual letter from the character code.	var key = String.fromCharCode(char);	// Return false if isNaN is true, else return true if isNaN is false.	// Returning false from an event handler prevents the event (i.e.	// the keydown) from happening.	return !isNaN(key);}</script><input type="text" onkeydown="return noLetters(event);" /></body></html>

Archived