How Does Mobile Browser Work

winwei

Hi,I'm here would like to know about mobile devices in their ability to connect to the Internet. I have gone through the .NET mobile tutorial by w3schools(http://www.w3schools.com/dotnetmobile/mobile_intro.asp) and having some doubt. 1.) When the user access the internet via their mobile, i.e access to www.yahoo.com, does it go to the same site same like the normal pc browser? 2.) When they key in the search word, does it display the result same like the normal pc browser?3.) As I know that different mobile devices support different programming languages. Some support WAP and WML, some support HTML or a limited version of HTML, and some support both or a different language. Does it mean that, if the mobile devices only support the WAP and WML, then only the site with WAP and WML will be rendered from the SEARCH?4.) Do we require to create two "copies" of an application, one for computer based and one for mobile device based? I get this statement from wikipedia-> Mobile internet sites, or WAP sites, are websites written in, or dynamically converted to, WML (Wireless Markup Language) and accessed via the WAP browser.5.) How does the request is handled by IIS, assume that in one server we do have .asp application and .aspx application.Really confuse, hope can get further advise.....

1. it goes tot eh exact same site2. it shows the results the same (to the best of it's ability)3. Some older devices/browsers don't support html or xhtml (Opera mini solved that) so they required special websites written in the language they understood. Now that browsers are upporting xhtml the designer can just use a different stylesheet to render the site differently for mobile devices. If the device only supports WAP or WML they will not be able to browse a site written in HTML.4. Depends on if you are going to support older mobile browsers5. IIS doesn't know the difference, it just spits out what you tell it to.

1. it goes tot eh exact same site2. it shows the results the same (to the best of it's ability)3. Some older devices/browsers don't support html or xhtml (Opera mini solved that) so they required special websites written in the language they understood. Now that browsers are upporting xhtml the designer can just use a different stylesheet to render the site differently for mobile devices. If the device only supports WAP or WML they will not be able to browse a site written in HTML.4. Depends on if you are going to support older mobile browsers
Item 1 & 2 - Does it mean that few years back when most of the browsers are only support WML, and most of the web sites are written in asp, html and php, when search, it goes to the exact same site and shows the results the same like PC browser are not be able to browse via mobile browser?Item 3 - Nowaday most of the mobile device browser can support html and xhtml like the PC browser, so does it mean that less and less people is going to use WML?New question: Then what kind of applications that WML use for in few years back?Pls advise.....

Archived