Regular Expressions

porzant

<?php// The "i" after the pattern delimiter indicates a case-insensitive searchif (preg_match("/^([0-9]{1}|[0-9]{2})-[a-z]{3}, [0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2} GMT$/i", "01-Jun, 13:30 GMT")) {if(preg_match("/[A-Z0-9 _-]{3,12}/i", "abcdefghijklm")){    echo "A match was found.";} }else {    echo "A match was not found.";}?> 

First section works fine. On the second section, {3,12} means it should match those charactes for a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 12 times doesn't it? When there are 13 characters, it still returns the match as true. Anyone know why?

The thing is that that reg.exp (/[A-Z0-9 _-]{3,12}/i) matches a substring/section of the string and not nessassary the whole string. (/abc/ matches "abc", "aabc", "123abc456" etc.). To make it to only match the whole string you need to add ^ (matches the beginning of the string) and $ (matches the end of the string) (just as you have in the first reg.exp. The regexp would the look like this:/^[A-Z0-9 _-]{3,12}$/iOr in the code:

<?php// The "i" after the pattern delimiter indicates a case-insensitive searchif (preg_match("/^([0-9]{1}|[0-9]{2})-[a-z]{3}, [0-9]{2}:[0-9]{2} GMT$/i", "01-Jun, 13:30 GMT")) {   if(preg_match("/^[A-Z0-9 _-]{3,12}$/i", "abcdefghijklm")) {	 echo "A match was found.";   }} else {	echo "A match was not found.";}?>

Good Luck and Don't Panic! ;?)

Archived