Insert into two tables (at same time)

kvnmck18

I have a textbox and a datagrid that need to be inserted into two different tables.Textbox needs to go into table1 and the data grid needs to go into table2.

string sql = "insert into table1 (column1) values (blahblah.Text)";

The string sql is passed throughout the whole .cs, so is there a way to amend this string to include a second insert table?

err...that's what I hoped not to hear. That makes this all so much more work to do.

(the second string is called 'sql2')

comm.CommandText = sql, sql2;

How can I make something like this not be full of errors.What is the best way of doing 2 seperate tables at the same time?

Why not try something like this:

string sql = "insert into table1 (column1) values (value1); insert into table2 (column1) values (value1);";

doesn't work...I tried that already...
Well, then how about using stored procedures as I do.C#
SqlCommand command = new SqlCommand("MyAwesomeStoredProc", MySqlConnection);command.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure;command.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Value1", value1);command.Parameters.AddWithValue("@Value2", value2);command.ExecuteNonQuery()

Stored Procedure

CREATE PROCEDURE MyAwesomeStoredProc(@Value1 int,@Value2 int)ASINSERT INTO Table1 (Column1) VALUES (@Value1)INSERT INTO Table2 (Column1) VALUES (@Value2)GO

you could do this; (I'm using Sql server objects for the xample but oyu can change them how ever you like)

SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection(....);SqlCommand cmd;string sql1 = "statement 1";string sql2 = "statement 2";conn.Open();cmd = new SqlCommand(sql1,conn);cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();cmd = new SqlCommand(sql2,conn);cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();conn.Close();

It should be that simple

I wish that it was that simple, the first original string is processed so much...so adding it in just one process doesn't work. Look at the code again. The "if (!(recordexist(sql)))" part.

Archived