computer stuff - usb ports

real_illusions

Can you change the USB ports on a computer to high speed USB ports without doing anything else to the computer? Or are they connected to some important bits like the motherboard?thanks:)

If the motherboard is old, then it simply doesn't support it, so there's no way to enable it.Newer motherboards have it enabled by default. If it's disabled, you can reenable it by going into the motherboard's BIOS. To do that, when you (re)start your computer, look out for a sign that says "Press *key* to enter SETUP". SETUP is practically the BIOS' settings, which is exactly what you need. Pres that key and search for the USB setting.IMPORTANT: DO NOT TWEAK ANYTHING YOU'RE NOT SURE ABOUT!!! SOME CHANGES CAN RENDER THE WHOLE COMPUTER USELESS- NOW OR AFTER A WHILE!!!

its a fairly old computer, compared to what is about now anyway, so it probably hasn't got it enabled.What are these type products?http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quick...NavigationKey=0Is it just a multi plug? Or does it make any usb transfers quicker?

As the description says, it allows you to connect a Serial device to a USB port in case you just don't have a Serial port. Serial ports are old and new computers have 0 or 1 of them. Some have 2, but never more. And believe me, I've seen organizations that need to connect 3+ serial devices, mostly because local manufacturers only produce Serial devices. This contraption is exactly for them.It has nothing to do with speed. It's all for compatability's sake.

Unless you are planning on building a new computer for other reasons, I, personally, don't think getting a new motherboard (and, most likely, RAM, CPU, power supply, etc.) just to increase your USB performance is such a great idea. If you just need faster USB, you might look into getting a PCI USB2.0 card.Newegg carries them (as do many other online retailers, I'm sure):http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;x=0&y=0

Archived