Are big sites coded from zero?

Norman

I have this question. Do you think big sites like Netlog.com (for example) are coded from zero, or are coded with the help of softwares like Dreamweaver? I'm asking this becoude, normally, big sites are not similiar to other ones. For example, if you use CMS like Joomla or others, if you don't edit them drastically, you will ever have a site like many others.Yes yes, I know. One time a week I have a stupid question to ask! :)

Larger sites - commonly referred to as enterprise sites - are either going to be coded in a content management system or by hand but using an established framework. Both provide a means to expand a site without it becoming unmanageable. I'm sure there are some large sites that are modularly coded and might be easy to maintain but harder to extend.All in all, a larger site (if its owner does the homework) will eventually lean toward a CMS or framework.

I work at a large corporation.Our site (I wish) was rebuilt by hand. It would be so much cleaner!! Each page is just a little bit different than the last so maintaining any type of framework is almost impossible.We have a content publishing type system that allows us to push static content out. (html type stuff) However to do large changes to our code, we have special uploads that handle that. We have these at least once a month. We don't have direct access to our servers, so it makes doing things a real production. :)

Well, if the site had a skilled team of programmers, then they could code the actual site from "zero", with no codebase, but they would still follow a CMS or framework model when creating it. However, a large site would usually only do this if they needed a really radical or unique solution, and if it was a standard site then it would be far easier just to modify an existing solution.Using DreamWeaver, sites can still be created from scratch! :)

I haven't coded any sites larger then a couple dozen pages, but i never start from an existing page, I always design the general look of the site in photoshop, then recreate it in code, and use that as a template for every other page on the site

Archived