XQuery

layton

I've been reading up on XQuery and it seems like a pretty interesting thing to use but I can't seem to figure out how to use it.Where do the scripts get entered. In html? In xml? Do I need a server that supports it like I do for sql?

I've been reading up on XQuery and it seems like a pretty interesting thing to use but I can't seem to figure out how to use it.Where do the scripts get entered. In html? In xml? Do I need a server that supports it like I do for sql?
Hi, nice to hear you are doing XQuery, very few person seems to be interested.Any way-XQuery is nothing but just like SQL quesry language for Oracle/MySQL/MS-SQL.Difference is this SQL query language use Relational database DBMS - while XQuery uses for XDMS (XML databases).To execute, obviuosly you need, XML database - like Oracle xDB (with Oracle 10g), Tiger Logic XDBM.. etcSimilar to your other relataional databases.Another Good alternative- you as XQuery can also be applied on collections(xml files), so XQuery can be use using editor like major one -"Stylus Studio editor", give path for your any XML file as source XML file and use editor to run XQuery.Remember one thing, XQuery bit different for each editor and database, but ocncept is simliar.as difference in MySQL and Oracle query language both are different but concept is similar, like that XQuery is different for editor and database (XDBM), but concept is same.

Excuse me if this will sound offensive but, Ashvini, reading your post confused me and I thought I knew what it was about :) .In order to execute XQuery, you need an XQuery processor. One such popular processor is SAXON. It has a CLI (pluggable to any language), JAVA and .NET APIs, which means you can execute it from JAVA, or any other language that can use JAVA APIs (JSP, ColdFusion) or .NET (C#, VB, ASP.NET). Other processors include AltovaXML which has those + COM API (almost any language). AltovaXML however is less conformant then SAXON and is also said to be slower, so unless you have no option but COM or CLI, I suggest you go for SAXON.The situation is the same with XSLT 2.0 btw. APIs like the one from my signature provide easies access to the processors' abilities for other languages (PHP in my case). I may sometime create another API for XQuery. The only thing I'm missing right now is an interface to follow. I haven't studied XQuery enough to see what the easiest API would be (and ease of use and installation are my primary concerns).Anyhow, what you'll do to use XQuery highly depends on your environment. The closer you are to the real API, the better. SAXON is written in JAVA, so using a language that uses JAVA APIs directly like the above mentioned ones will increase performance and stability. AltovaXML is concentrated on the COM interface, practically leaving you with more options of integration.Once you have an XQuery processor at your disposal, you can use that processor to execute XQuery files. Those files contain all of XQuery's syntax.

Archived