where to start.

ashton

Hi,First of all I'm not exactly where I should be posting this so my apologies if this is a inappropriate section. Like I have mentioned in my introduction post, I'm pretty new to php, html and all the like, but I prefer learning through actual experiance. My eventual goal is to make a living from website designing. I am not the best with making websites just yet but I've been learning as quickly as I possibly can since I consider learning these skills my current job (unemployed atm).Anyway, is there any web coding projects I can be a part of for the experiance? Is there any places out there on the web that might possibly hire a rookie coder like me for not much pay since I am a rookie, as I continue my learning experiance? I guess what I'm asking on that question is a sort of online internship job.. I'm sure you understand what I'm asking.. at least someguy would ! That dude is like a superbeing.-Ashton

I think your best bet to gain experience is to make sites for friends and family. Are you part of any groups or organizations that need websites? Or just pick a topic like your favorite band or movie and make a website about it. There really are no rules but you just have to start somewhere. Good luck.

Do you really want an online internship? I have a hobby site that needs some attention. I have the templates all made up I just need help moving content from the old chaotic site to the new one.Honestly, there would be no pay involved, but you would get all the credit for doing the work and would be able to use it as a portfolio piece. I'd start with a phone conversation to give you the history of the project and could give you full FTP access to the new development area. You'd gain experience using XHTML, CSS, and ColdFusion.Send me a PM if you're interested.

to asp, yes I'm involved with a few gaming guilds and I've already been making their websites. I own the webhost and directory I run those pages off of. One is my guild wars guild site www.cleargames.net/care the other is just www.cleargames.net which I'm still working on I just started on that one not long ago but thats my personal site, once I get it looking nice it'd have a good reflection on me I hope. And to skemcin yes I'm interested. From what I read most website hosts who are looking for webmasters or something to that extent require about 5 websites that they can reference to that are built well. Anyway, I'll send you a PM. Please keep the ideas coming because I'd like to master these skills so I could eventually meet my goal of working at home on websites. If there are any small paying jobs or internships out there then that would be usefull to my cause as well.-Ashton

I got insanely lucky....With almost no experience except for one website I did for a friend, it only involved HTML/CSS and some graphics work, no degree, no certifications or formal training other than a year of college, I managed to get a job locally as a full time website programmer. I'm sure it helped that my dad knew the guy who I would be working under, although he wasn't actually the one who hired me...anyway I've only been here for two weeks and I started out knowing a good amount of java (nothing web based) and a lot of C. Two weeks in and I know a ton more java including a lot of JSP, how to work with MySQL, a lot of php, javascript, and I'm working on AJAX right now.I'm only making $12/hr to start, but compared to my old job at a grocery store it's a goldmine, plus there is definitely more money in the future once I'm really trained and useful to them.

Archived