Mobile web

Html

I've developed several applications in WAP/WML but personally do not use the technology at all. From a usuability perspective only reasons 3,4, and 5 are legitimate in my opinion. The first two are just principle - people pay rediculous amounts of money for crazy things, its only the people who can't afford them that complain about them cuz they wish they could have them as if they are entitled to it. And "slow" is subjective to the individual and what they expect from the service. The reason why they are "slow" is a result of what I feel is the real reason its not taking off - development.These sites are slow because developing them correctly is another layer to the process of creating a site. Theese site are slow because most sites just tweak code to validate so they can push the site to the wireless world when it is the same content as a PC browser. I know that is mentioned in the article, but my point is in development. We have to develop the same thing two to completely different design standards. With the bulk of usability studies for websites only done for PC desktop browsers, its hard to go down the right path. Again, that is only if you can afford the development time for both environments.When development of sites takes much much less time you will see the savings either put back into a better PC web site experience or it will go to mobile re-iterations of an existing site.Until then, you will see the majority of WAP/WML development done for very specific targeted pruposes - i.e. google searches (of onyl WAP/WML sites), sports and financial tickers (news), and proprietary reasons - i.e. an application I made for a local municipality that allows public workers to access permit and maintenance records (in the field from their phone) for properties within the city's jurisdiction.

I've developed several applications in WAP/WML but personally do not use the technology at all. From a usuability perspective only reasons 3,4, and 5 are legitimate in my opinion. The first two are just principle - people pay rediculous amounts of money for crazy things, its only the people who can't afford them that complain about them cuz they wish they could have them as if they are entitled to it. And "slow" is subjective to the individual and what they expect from the service. The reason why they are "slow" is a result of what I feel is the real reason its not taking off - development.These sites are slow because developing them correctly is another layer to the process of creating a site. Theese site are slow because most sites just tweak code to validate so they can push the site to the wireless world when it is the same content as a PC browser. I know that is mentioned in the article, but my point is in development. We have to develop the same thing two to completely different design standards. With the bulk of usability studies for websites only done for PC desktop browsers, its hard to go down the right path. Again, that is only if you can afford the development time for both environments.When development of sites takes much much less time you will see the savings either put back into a better PC web site experience or it will go to mobile re-iterations of an existing site.Until then, you will see the majority of WAP/WML development done for very specific targeted pruposes - i.e. google searches (of onyl WAP/WML sites), sports and financial tickers (news), and proprietary reasons - i.e. an application I made for a local municipality that allows public workers to access permit and maintenance records (in the field from their phone) for properties within the city's jurisdiction.
Well, the W3C are the ones on to the standards part. Since 05', they have had "Mobile Web". It is slow, as you've said about development, W3C has a big challenge, to make the web accessible on a 240 x 320 resolution or even slightly bigger.With a pocket pc on it's own, you can just connect to the web if it has wifi. So, at the end of the day it won't cost you money.But I think windows mobile will need to go much further, than it is today. Mobile web may spring up in three to fours time.:)

Archived