window.close cancels previous actions?

chadmichael

what I'm doing I have a secondary window ( a window that I've opened from the main browser ). There's a form in it. When I submit the form, I want the window to close and the return from the response to go to the main browser window that opened the secondary window. I've got this work, minus the closing of the secondary window, by using the following function that is called to submit the form.

function submitForm(){	   /* set the target of the form to the name of the opening window */       document.DMUForm.target = opener.name;   document.DMUForm.submit();}

This works great. But when I try to add a line to close the secondary window (code below), the first two lines fail. I guess its something like that the secondary window is closed before it has a chance to submit the request?

function submitForm(){	   /* set the target of the form to the name of the opening window */       document.DMUForm.target = opener.name;   document.DMUForm.submit();   /*  close me ( I'm the secondary window ) */   window.close();}

Well, what you can do is put this in the pop up window:

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">var oParent = window.opener;document.DMUForm.target=oParent.namewindow.close();</script>

Is this what you want?

Hmm...I really don't know. Oh, you have to remove the () after window.close, as you're not supposed to use () when calling a javascript function IN javascript. :)