Replacing a line with another line

plzhelp

hi,i have a text file(1.txt) like...line1................................line2................................line3................................line4................................line5.........................................................................and so onnow i want to replace any line suppose LINE 3 with some other line in some other text file(2.txt, that line in 2.txt is only one line in that with some modifications)like..LINE 3.............(in 2.txt)i want to replace that.how can i do that???-plz help

There may be a better way, but this is how I do it....Read your first file into an array. Then overwrite the original file while inserting the new line you want.

<?$linetoinsert=3;//Get new line$z=file("2.txt");///Put original file into array$old=file("1.txt");//Rewrite the file$x=fopen("1.txt", "w");$old[$linetoinsert]=$z;foreach($old as $value){  fwrite($x, $value);}fclose($x);?>

If you want to create a database with plain text files, my suggestion is to work with multiple files as they were rows in a table instead of working with multiple lines in a few files. I had this experience and found easier and more flexible.You could write to the files using variables like this:$write_this = "\$string = \"this is my string\"";And then you could use include() to display the stored variables...Use also arrays (array, array_push, etc) to gather selected files (which play rows)...And to complete this approach, the "id" of the files could be based on time stamps (year.month.day.hour.minutes.seconds), so that you can easily sort them.