Linking pages with the <Object> tag

Guest White_Pointer

Guest White_Pointer

Hello,I have run across a very frustrating problem.What I've done is that I've embedded an external HTML file into a page using the <object> tag, like this:<OBJECT name = "news" data="news1.html" width = "402" height = "105" border = "0"></OBJECT>When the page loads, this embedded page displays fine as it should.I've also created a set of links, and a set of different pages that I want to have displayed in the embedded object. That is, the page that the embedded object refers to changes if the user clicks a link. I've used this code to do it:<a href="news1.html" target = "news">News 2005-06-28</a><br><a href="news2.html" target = "news">News 2005-06-02</a><br><a href="news3.html" target = "news">News 2005-05-24</a>As you can see, the link target is the same name as the name I gave the embedded object. So, theoretically, when the user clicks a link, the linked page should open up in the embedded object, and indeed it does in Firefox. But Internet Explorer, being the piece of crap that it is, opens these pages in a new window rather than within the embedded object.To be clear - the initial page that gets loaded for the embedded object (the one defined within the object tag) loads fine in both IE and Firefox. It's only when the user clicks the links to open a different page inside the embedded object where IE runs into problems.So there's my problem, and I'm completely stumped. The pages are meant to display within the embedded object when the user clicks a link. It works in Firefox, but not in Internet Explorer. IE instead opens these pages in a new window. I can't ask my site visitors to all switch to Firefox so how can I get around this?Any help would be appreciated, because I've just about reached the end of my tether in regards to IE's crappy functionality.White_Pointer

But Internet Explorer, being the piece of crap that it is
Agreed.
I've just about reached the end of my tether in regards to IE's crappy functionality.
What self-respecting webdeveloper hasn't? :)I read a while ago I THINK that you have to add a _ before the name of the target. Try that?

Maybe a _ (underscore) will do the job in IE. It's crap, it sucks. I simply ignore it, because Firefox is the best. I don't really understand why Microsh** are loooooooosing time to develop IE, to make it better (i mean worse), when they can simply include Firefox. So, my choice is to ignore IE.

unfortunately we can't ignore IE - it still owns 85% of the market share. catering to one browser - although I am an avid FF user as well - will not help the situation.I'm not saying you have to code pages for all browsers - but there are compromises we (as developers) have to make sometimes. I'd strongly recommend avoiding situations where you have to say "best viewed using". I don't think there is a problem saying "we recommend using..." but your page should be bale to accommodate all the main browsers.In any respect - IE is more than 3 years old, so we can't expect too much out of it. I, personally, hope MS take as much time as it need to develop IE7 - it has given other browsers some breathing space. And, when it does finally come out - if MS hold true to form - people will see just how much more BS they force upon us.:)