Fonts like Images

Norman

Surfing the web, I've seen some texts that was like 'Images'. They were bold.. and they really seemed images! I don't remember the link.. so I would like to ask if you know some of them!

You might check out sIFR. I haven't ever used it and I only know about it because a buddy of mine used it on some site, but it appears that it is regular text that is transformed into a little flash object if the browser supports it. This allows you to use any font that you want but still have it work as regular text if javascript/stylesheets are disabled.http://www.google.com/search?q=sIFR

I used to have a routine that would write text vertically using this idea. In a painstaking hour, using Photoshop, I wrote out all the basic letters (caps and non) and punctuation, in one font size and style. Then I rotated the whole canvas 90 degrees. I rasterized it, sliced it, and created 60+ "character" images. I saved them by their names: a.gif, b.gif, etc.Then a little javascript routine would take a bit of text and assemble the correct images in the proper sequence. The setup took forever, but the routine is short, the images portable, and using it is very easy.You could learn a lot about a lot of things by creating your own system like that.

You might check out sIFR. I haven't ever used it and I only know about it because a buddy of mine used it on some site, but it appears that it is regular text that is transformed into a little flash object if the browser supports it. This allows you to use any font that you want but still have it work as regular text if javascript/stylesheets are disabled.http://www.google.com/search?q=sIFR
Great link! Thank you, jesh. Then, that's a flash object?
sIFR 2.0: Rich Accessible Typography for the Masses
If I copy it, it leave the style. It's ok.
I used to have a routine that would write text vertically using this idea. In a painstaking hour, using Photoshop, I wrote out all the basic letters (caps and non) and punctuation, in one font size and style. Then I rotated the whole canvas 90 degrees. I rasterized it, sliced it, and created 60+ "character" images. I saved them by their names: a.gif, b.gif, etc.Then a little javascript routine would take a bit of text and assemble the correct images in the proper sequence. The setup took forever, but the routine is short, the images portable, and using it is very easy.You could learn a lot about a lot of things by creating your own system like that.
I can understand, but it will require a lot of time! Do you will share that work?

In a painstaking hour, using Photoshop, I wrote out all the basic letters (caps and non) and punctuation, in one font size and style.
:) couldn't you just have used PrintScreen?

:) couldn't you just have used PrintScreen?
To make one big image, sure. What takes the time is slicing each character image so you end up with just the right amount of space on each side. And maybe it took less than an hour. I goof off a lot.biggrin.gif

Archived