css/html for blogger

tvbtoday

Hi.I am having trouble coding a layout for my blog. So basically, is there a difference when coding for a website and for a blog? Do most people start coding with a template or from scratch? Also, how do I make the sidebar menu; for example, the "previous posts" and "achieves" those types of sections. Because I have tried so many times, but the blog doesn't turn out the way I want. Can someone please help me? Thanks so much in advance.

I am having trouble coding a layout for my blog. So basically, is there a difference when coding for a website and for a blog?
Which blog software are you using? From your title it appears Blogger, which I believe already has the HTML structure and much CSS in place. So there would be some difference as you would have to work with what Blogger provides you. However, with other downloadable packages such as WordPress you can change the structure of the HTML as well, so there is less difference. If you are making your own system then there is no difference (as it is basically a website, just one showing a blog).
Do most people start coding with a template or from scratch?
Depends on skill level and also how well your "ideal" layout corresponds to an existing texmplate, for example if you see a great template but think "I wish the sidebar was on the left" or "That template really should use Verdana" then you would get the template and modify it (after checking the license of course). But if no template fits your needs then you can start from scratch.
Also, how do I make the sidebar menu; for example, the "previous posts" and "achieves" those types of sections.
If you are using a pre-made blog system, there should be functions for that. If you are creating your own, you should be storing your posts in a database (or file, but that isn't so good). You can then SELECT the entries relevant to the section from that database and display them.

But is it possible that I revise wordpress template and host it with blogger?
Yes... but it would take ages as Wordpress templates are fairly involved WP-codewise. Though not impossible.
Also, I can use FTP to host my blog, right?
You can use FTP (File Transfer Protocol) to transfer files to a web server, however you will need a web server first.
Because I'm pretty new to this stuff, can you please explain what is a database?
Its what your blogging system uses to store the information you write.

Archived