Need some help with MySQL select

Jetmatt777

What I'm trying to do is pull out 1 piece of data from my db that will go into an if statement, and a different code will go out on one variable being true or false, or if the data does not exist. I hope that makes sense.

<?php$con = mysql_connect("localhost","******","*****");if (!$con)  {  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());  }mysql_select_db("**********",$con);$book= $_GET['book'];$chapter= $_GET['chapter'];$verse= $_GET['verse'];$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM bible WHERE book='$book' AND chapter='$chapter' AND verse='$verse'");while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result));$d= $row['des'];  if ($d = "beg")   {	echo "Beginning";   }  if ($d = "end")   {   	 echo "End";   }  mysql_close($con);?>

When I run the code, both echoes appear like this: BeginningEnd when only one or neither should appear.I hope that made a little sense of what I'm trying to accomplish.Some of the code might not appear correctly in sequence because when I copied the code over, it left out the line breaks.ThanksMatt

You are using the assignment operator (=), you have to use ==

if ($d == "beg")   {	echo "Beginning";   }  if ($d == "end")   {  	 echo "End";   }

Your while loop has some problems, it should be more like

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {	$d= $row['des'];	if ($d = "beg") {		echo "Beginning";	}	if ($d = "end") {  		echo "End";	}}

Of course, it could be possible that you have no row in that table where the des column equals "beg" or "end".

Archived