form validation

vj5

I have two fields start date and end date. If the start date is empty, user cannot enter the end date. In otherwords, if there is an end date, there should be a start date. how will I validate in javascript. Please help.

I tried doing like this. It works, but after I enter the data, it is still showing the alert sign to enter data.

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"><!--function checkform ( form ){    // ** START **  if (form.dosend.value != "") {	alert( "Please enter Start Date." );	return false;  }  // ** END **  return true;}//--></script>

This could be one way of doing it:

<html><body><script type="text/javascript">function enable(ele, id){	if(ele.value != "")	{		document.getElementById(id).disabled = false;	}	else	{		document.getElementById(id).disabled = true;	}}</script><input type="text" id="start" onkeyup="enable(this, 'end');" /><input type="text" id="end" disabled="disabled" /></body></html>

Note that you should also validate on the server-side, for two reasons:

• JavaScript can't deliver security, because it's managed by the browser. All the currently available browsers assist the user in whatever task they are attempting. If your user is your friend, the browser is too; if the user is a hacker, the browser is a hacking tool.
  • JavaScript can't be dependable, because browsers vary in their support for it, and some don't support it at all. For example, the text-based browser Lynx is oblivious to all JavaScript and would submit invalid data.

Archived