WCSS

elementalgrace

Hi there,I'm building the front end for a site that's going to be mobile only and am restructuring the information to display as best it can using the various mobile devices. As such I am trying to eliminate tables where possible and use lists instead, even though the tables are for data (and not layout!) as they display too much data to be usable on a large screen.It's going reasonably well but I find I am having a wee bit of a problem with styling the lists. I am testing on a windows mobile 6 emulator and am finding that there is a massive issue with trying to style lists as no matter what I do - I can't make the list with style-type:none sit flush against the left hand side as I cannot get rid of the left margin. It's not an issue if you look at the page on a pc browser page so I'm wondering if it's an issue specific to windows mobile or there might be a way to get round the margin issue.As there is no code apart from the html list I thought it better not to bother posting it and see if anyone had any general ideas about this or had experienced any similar issues themselves before now.Many thanks

Without looking at the code and not being able to test it on mobile devices, you might try giving the ul a padding-left: 0; and if that is not enough then give the li a negative margin-left:ul {padding-left: 0;}li {margin-left: -5px;}

Without looking at the code and not being able to test it on mobile devices, you might try giving the ul a padding-left: 0; and if that is not enough then give the li a negative margin-left:ul {padding-left: 0;}li {margin-left: -5px;}
That's actually the weird thing. I did that for the UL and the LI and while it worked across the board in my PC browsers, when tested on a mobile - it didn't budge - not with margin and padding set to zero and not with negative margins either. Seems really odd.

Give the ul a negative margin. If that fails, you might try to find a web design forum that specializes in coding for mobile phones.
No, that neither, as I said it's weird. The thing is I don't know if it's something to do with the windows mobile browser specifically or just general problems that mobiles have with css support. Either way as I need to try and support as wide an array of mobile devices as possible it'd be better if I can find a solution.I'll see if I can find somewhere specifically targeted at mobiles and post back here if I get a result. Not the end of the world if not but I'm a fussy sort and I do like to get things 'just so' if I can.

Archived