HTML emails

elementalgrace

You mean this?

<a href="mailto: youremail@hotmail.com">Email Me</a>

You mean this?
<a href="mailto: youremail@hotmail.com">Email Me</a>

No, that's not what they mean.Look up "mailchimp.com" -- lots of good articles there.Additionally, Microsoft has sent e-mail campaigns hurtling 5 years into the past with their new version of Outlook. Whereas previously they used the engine from Internet Explorer to render HTML e-mail in Outlook, they changed it in Version 7 to use MS Word -- which has extremely limited capability. More about that here:http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2007/01/10/...ing-in-outlook/http://www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/archiv...l_design_b.htmlBriefly, the carnage includes: * no support for background images (HTML or CSS) * no support for forms * no support for Flash, or other plugins * no support for CSS floats * no support for replacing bullets with images in unordered lists * no support for CSS positioning * no support for animated GIFsOuch!

No, that's not what they mean.Look up "mailchimp.com" -- lots of good articles there.Additionally, Microsoft has sent e-mail campaigns hurtling 5 years into the past with their new version of Outlook. Whereas previously they used the engine from Internet Explorer to render HTML e-mail in Outlook, they changed it in Version 7 to use MS Word -- which has extremely limited capability. More about that here:http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2007/01/10/...ing-in-outlook/http://www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/archiv...l_design_b.htmlBriefly, the carnage includes: * no support for background images (HTML or CSS) * no support for forms * no support for Flash, or other plugins * no support for CSS floats * no support for replacing bullets with images in unordered lists * no support for CSS positioning * no support for animated GIFsOuch!
HiThanks for your response futureboy9000. It was really helpful in the end. I had heard about Microsoft's changes to Outlook 2007 (and thank God I have that to test with) but unfortunately I didn't have a choice about the Newsletter so I just tried to keep it as simple as possible.I am beginning to think that with junk mail filters and suchlike HTML emails are halfway to being obsolete anyway and RSS feeds will be the way to go.

Using html email is not dead but you do need to provide an alternative text version so that for those that cannot or choose not to view emails in html format can read it.
Most HTML campaign providers provide that option as standard now.How many people do you honestly know though that actually read the newsletters that they sign up for? Most of mine get filtered straight into my junk mail folder. I am willing to bet a lot of other people's do too.

Like all newsletters, if the content is not worth reading, then most will ignore them or unsubscribe.I have two newsletters that I frequently read only because the content it provides is relevant, professionally done and does not have a bunch of garbage that I didn't sign up for.

Like all newsletters, if the content is not worth reading, then most will ignore them or unsubscribe.I have two newsletters that I frequently read only because the content it provides is relevant, professionally done and does not have a bunch of garbage that I didn't sign up for.
I'm not disagreeing that the content makes a newsletter worth reading or not. I quite agree that it is. That would apply to any technology.My point is that the medium of email is not necessarily the best way to impart this news as junk mail filters etc are becoming more and more sophisticated, a lot of HTML emails are just getting marked as spam and directed straight to the junk mail folder. If a newsletter is sent out intermittently, the user probably wouldn't notice if it arrived or not as they wouldn't be expecting it.I was simply saying that because of spam (as opposed to genuine newsletters) it may not be the most suitable way of updating subscribers and perhaps newer technology such as RSS feeds will take over from HTML emails and suchlike as technology moves forward.

Archived