Actually Using SQL with a php site

Fukushousha

Hello all,having done SQL for 2 semesters in uni I thought it would be a piece of cake to use it in my site. Heh .... now I know better. I am using dreamweaver to design my site and I just installed a MySQL Server into my machine. I intend to finish the site in my machine having the SQL server in my machine and when I am finished upload it to a remote hosting server. Problem is that I do not know how to connect to the MySQL server. Dreamweaver really made it difficult for me, I read its help manual, read up on 3 different forums yet nothing came out of it. The MySQL server is working, I can communicate with it by console commands via cmd.exe. Now I don't know how to make my site communicate with it.I tried the way the tutorials on this great site say but it does not work. More specifically I tried this :

<?php$con = mysql_connect("localhost","name","password");if (!$con)  {  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());  }    mysql_select_db("myDB", $con);$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users");while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))  {  echo $row['FirstName'] . " " . $row['LastName'];    }mysql_close($con);?>

This displays .... nothing .. not even an error :/ . Please , any help? I have been trying to figure it out for at least 3 hours now :)

Try putting echo mysql_error() under the mysql_query() and see whether there is anything.Of course, also check that there are rows in that table.

I tried it but still nothing :)Can you explain how I am supposed to connect to a database that I am runnign as a Mysql service in my pc( hence the local host?) ... I think the problem lies there ... EDIT: I found out the problem and solved it. Thanks for the help anyway people :)

Archived