What's wrong with this statement?

LukeV

Alright so I wanted to do a check on a username input. I wanted to make sure that the username inputted is greater then 4 and less then 15 characters.So, let $username be the variable which holds the username.

if (strlen($username) < 4 || >15) {$error .= "Username must be 4-15 characters."}

But when I do this I get:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '>'
So what's wrong with the above statement? Looks fine to me, but then again I'm no php expert ^^Thanks.

$len = strlen($username); // so we only call strlen onceif ( ($len < 4) || ($len >15)) {$error .= "Username must be 4-15 characters."}#notice the nested parens

Gotta do each comparison the long way.Was it old-fashioned BASIC that let you do it the way LukeV tried it? Something did or does, I'm pretty sure.

"or" is not an operation you can perform interchangably the way you think. You need to supply two complete expressions on it's sides. And ">15" is not a valid expression without an argument on the left. You need something like:

if (($len = strlen($username)) < 4 || $len >15) {$error .= "Username must be 4-15 characters."}

[edit]Damn... Deirdre's Dad beated me to it... what's interesting is that we both called the variable $len :) . [/edit]

Ah ok I see what you mean. Thanks guys, will keep this in mind :)EDIT: I'm used to coding in Java. I think that syntax is acceptable in Java no? I could be wrong. I'm not an expert in Java either :) Anyways it just sounded right to me at first, but now I know better.

what's interesting is that we both called the variable $len :)
We've read the same manuals. Sometimes I even name a string $str. And I usually iterate with $i. (I mean, don't go thinking we're soulmates, or anything.)Ooh. What does this tell you? When I write a script that needs to break into functions, the first one I call is main();

(I mean, don't go thinking we're soulmates, or anything.)
Haven't thought about it even for a sec. Don't you worry :) . That just caught my sight, that's all. Besides, other than using $i for iterations, I don't do the rest of the things you said :) .

Archived