Config file outsite web root

kurt.santo

When putting the following file:

// error handling// flag variable for site status$live = FALSE;// error log email address$email = 'testing@domain.co.uk';// create  error handlerfunction my_error_handler ($e_number, $e_message, $e_file, $e_line, $e_vars) {	global $live, $email;	// build the error message	$message = "An error occurred in script '$e_file' on line $e_line: \n<br />$e_message\n<br />";	// add the date and time	$message .= "Date/Time: " . date('n-j-Y H:i:s') . "\n<br />";	// append $e_vars to the $message	$message .= "<pre>" . print_r ($e_vars, 1) . "</pre>\n<br />";	if ($live) { // don't show the specific error		error_log ($message, 1, $email); // send email		// only print an error message if the error isn't a notice		if ($e_number != E_NOTICE) {			echo 'A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.<br />';		}	} else { // development (print the error).		echo '' . $message . '<br />';	}} // end of my_error_handler() definition// use my error handlerset_error_handler ('my_error_handler');

outside of web root the page referencing it does not display any more. Why cannot it be outside of web root? Thought would be better for security...Kurt

You cannot open a file that is outside www root from a web browser. If you want to make it more secure, put it outside www root, but include it in a file that is inside www root. PHP scripts can access files even if they are otuside web root.

You cannot open a file that is outside www root from a web browser. If you want to make it more secure, put it outside www root, but include it in a file that is inside www root. PHP scripts can access files even if they are otuside web root.
Cheers, will have a go...Kurt

Archived