height: 100% alternative?

shadowayex

I was wondering if there was a way I can make a column on my page extent the whole vertical height of the page without using height: 100%. That's what I'm using right now and it's extremely buggie. What else can I use? I'm thinking about making a <p> that will need to stay at the bottom anyways. There's no problem if the content of the page extends longer than the height of the page, but when it doesn't, the <div> that I'm using as a column stops midpage, and I want it to extend no matter what. How would I do this?

Nevermind doesn't work. Is there a solution that will actually work?Here's a link so you can see what I'm talking about. If you try to navigate, the only other styled page is messages.php, and you won't be able to view it without signing in. But you don't have to sign in to see the problem.

I took a look. Nice design, but doesn't suit what I need. Is there any other solution? CSS or otherwise? I do have a little experience in JavaScript as well. Enough to understand most any concepts. I don't know all the functions and their applications, both intended and otherwise. But I can learn. I just want the thing to extend the full page when the content does not, but still expand if the content runs over it.EDIT: Should I just put screenshots of what's going on as is, what I want to happen, and the problem with the height:100% solution?

Should I just put screenshots of what's going on as is, what I want to happen, and the problem with the height:100% solution?
That sounds good...

Ok, here's the screenshots with an explanation under each:The Problemproblem.jpgAs you can see, due to the lack of enough content, the blue column does not go all the way to the bottom of the page. If there's enough content it will, as you can see if you go to this page. But in this case, it does not, and I want it to, no matter what.The height: 100%; Solutionheight100solution.jpgAfter adding height: 100%; to the html, body, and div.content sections on the CSS file, it seemed to be fixed. At least when you look at it on that page.The New Problemproblemwithheight100.jpgWhen I navigated around to see the results, to my horror I came across the glitch above on several pages. Because of this glitch, I cannot use height: 100%;.Do you understand my problem now? I need a way to get the effect of height: 100%; without the glitches of it. Is there another way? If not with CSS, is there a way with any other language? I don't mind learning. I already have an understanding of JavaScript and PHP. I don't know everything about either, not even close. But I know enough that expanding my knowledge won't be too much of a problem.

Why not have a background image that is set to the body and has background-repeat:repeat-y?There is also min-height:100% but it doesn't work in IE.

Archived