Question about SQL injection

Praetorian

Just for the heck of it, I tried a few sql injection lines on my localhost. None of them worked... I tried them on a textarea where the contents are put into a variable and inserted straight into the database. Are textareas not vulnerable to SQL injection? Or is it the version of PHP I'm using? I have magic quotes turned off, not using my_real_escape_string or stripslashes..I just want to be sure what's vulnerable and what's not, so I know what to protect.Here's the query as is.. followed by the line I added to the textarea.

mysql_query("UPDATE $country SET content='$edit_content' WHERE header='$header_location'") or die (mysql_error());

'; DROP TABLE siymeha';

The resulting query must still be executable, and if memory serves, "';'" is not a valid way to end a query.I mean that with what you have, your resulting query is something like:

UPDATE $country SET content='$edit_content' WHERE header=''; DROP TABLE siymeha';'

(assuming the text area corresponds to $header_location)I think if you change your input to something like:

'; DROP TABLE siymeha

(note the missing "';" in the end)you'll have more luck, as the resulting query then would be:

UPDATE $country SET content='$edit_content' WHERE header=''; DROP TABLE siymeha'

which is (I believe) an executable query.

Archived