Submit Buttons

elementalgrace

I am creating a form for a project and have come across an interesting question that affects how I structure my HTML.In creating forms I have always applied a label to the submit button (but making it invisible), thinking that this was the most appropriate way to lay out the form by making the button accessible and (as a side benefit) having the layout display exactly as I want it. A colleague recently asked whether this is actually correct from an accessibility point of view or whether it would be more correct to have no label and just use CSS margins to position the button.Any thoughts?

Umm... well, I can't see much accessibility improvement as even the most basic text-only browser will still show buttons differently, and screen readers do read out the value buttons. I wouldn't put the label, it'll look redundant and maybe a bit strange on non-CSS browsers, and screen readers may read it out, again maybe sounding confusing.IMO, just use margins.

Umm... well, I can't see much accessibility improvement as even the most basic text-only browser will still show buttons differently, and screen readers do read out the value buttons. I wouldn't put the label, it'll look redundant and maybe a bit strange on non-CSS browsers, and screen readers may read it out, again maybe sounding confusing.IMO, just use margins.
Wasn't aware that Screen Readers read out the button values - my copy of JAWS is playing silly beggars at the mo. That does make a difference, I think.Thanks

Wasn't aware that Screen Readers read out the button values
Umm... well that's my experience but I can't quote for all screen reading software, I suppose there may be some applications that just say "Submit" or "Button"...

Archived