passing varying number of arguments by reference

jhecht

Well, looked just about everywhere i could, googled, yahoo'd, still cannot figure out an answer.I am making a function, where i need to pass EVERY argument by reference. That itself is not a problem, HOWEVER, the function takes varying numbers of arguments.here's an example:

function thing(){ $args = func_get_args(); for($i=0;$i<sizeof($args);$i++){   $arg = $args[$i];   foreach($arg as $key=>$value){	 if($value=='something'){	   $arg[$key]='else';	 }   } }}$a = array('bob'=>'not something');$b= array('bill'=>'something');thing($a,$b);$c = array('b'=>'something');thing($c);print_r($a);echo "<br />";print_r($b);ehco "<br />";print_r($c);echo "<br />";

The output i would hope from the above would be something along the lines of:Array( [bob]=>not something)Array( [bill]=>else)Array( =>else)I'm just not sure how to go about getting all function arguments by reference, if its possible at all.

You've probably thought of this, but I'll give it a shot anyway... Could you pass a reference to an array of arguments? Those arguments might also be passed by reference to the array construct/method/thing.

I could, but in the end that wouldn't do what i need for this to do. Essentially i want for the function to parse an array for values, and alter the arrays given. Obvioulsy i could simply use a return command and go $go = array('bob'=>'billy');$go = thing($go);But i figure its just easier to cut out the middleman

You could also use indirection and pass the variable names as strings... not sure if this will work though

function thing(){$args = func_get_args();for($i=0;$i<sizeof($args);$i++){   $arg = $args[$i];   global $$arg;   foreach($$arg as $key=>$value){	 if($value=='something'){	   $$arg[$key]='else';	 }   }}}$a = array('bob'=>'not something');$b= array('bill'=>'something');thing("a","b");$c = array('b'=>'something');thing("c");

Archived