Select Option Widths

elementalgrace

HeyI'm not actually sure where the best place is for this as the solution could be based in HTML, CSS Javascript - I don't know. So feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate if required.So, on to the problem. With a colleague, I've been building what is effectively a CMS with some extra bits and we're having a problem with some select boxes in (surprise, surprise) IE. The site uses a two column layout and I have set a width for the select elements. However in one of the dropdown menus, the client has added insanely long values to the menu. In firefox it just makes the dropdown bit wider to display the values while keeping the select bit the right width, but IE keeps the whole lot the same width (as specified on the select) and cuts off the end of the value. Is there any way to force IE to stretch the option to fit the whole value as Firefox does automatically?A perfect example of what I mean is this guys example:<select id="select" style="width: 125px"><option selected>select One</option><option value="1">In Firefox, this menu will expand out, despite what</option><option value="2">I set the width of the select itself to.</option><option value="3">------</option><option value="4">Unfortunatley, in Internet Explorer, this doesn't happen</option><option value="5">Is there a solution to this problem?</option></select>

Archived