My new project

Guest FirefoxRocks

Guest FirefoxRocks

I have an ongoing project that I have been working on lots lately and I am very proud of it. I would like to know how I can improve it further.It can found at http://portal.trap17.com/sandbox/cssBuilder/cssBuilder.php. As you can see, it is still in BETA, even though version 0.6 has been released.Browser testing:Works and displays fine in Firefox 2, Flock (one that is equivalent to Fx 2), Firefox 3, Opera 9.5 and Safari 3 for Windows.Displays fine (but doesn't work) in Konqueror.Completely broken in IE 5.5, IE 6, IE 7, IE 8 BETA.Bugs:Only does 1 rule at a time.Instruction panel does not work as intended.Things aren't written to the textbox in Konqueror (JavaScript issue).I would like to know of any bugs/improvements I can make to this.

I don't mind doing one rule at a time, but... when I'm finished with a rule, how do I finish the changes? I saw no button like "finish" or "style another" or... nothing that would even hint this. Not even "Clear all fields" worked.It would be nice to have a checkbox saying "Use shorthand" at each category, so that you can have for example

a {background: #f00 none scroll top left repeat;}

instead of

a { background-color: #f00; background-image: none; background-attachment: scroll; background-position: top left; background-repeat: repeat; }

It would be nice to have a text box in which to enter element names. The dropdown should adjust itself to what is being typed, and the field should become yellow (or any other color you'd use to signal a warning) when there's no standard XHTML element called like that. It should still allow styling on it though.I think the attributes area will make more sence if it's like

When the attribute [textbox]* is present (with any value)* has the value of (exactly)* has a value beginning with...* has a value ending with...* has a value containing
Also, remove the line above saying "Attributes..." and the line below saying "Type attribute value contents". You can make "Attributes..." the legend of a fieldset where it would appear more natural. As for "Type attribute value contents", spelling aside (it should be "Type the attribute's value"), with the above options, this doesn't make any sence (with or without the word "contents" which I'm guessing you've added to clear the ambiguity). At best, this can be made a "title" of the text box to serve as a hint to what this is for.It would be nice to see positioning implemented (it doesn't seem to work now), but make sure you also have a dropdown for whether the position is relative or absolute. I think it would make most sence if it's like
* Push relative to the top left corner of the[dtopdown]Screen (absolute)Containing element (relative)[/dropdown]

Everywhere where there are units like pixels and ems, it would be nice to have a dropdown next to the textbox for selecting the exact unit.

Guest FirefoxRocks
I don't mind doing one rule at a time, but... when I'm finished with a rule, how do I finish the changes? I saw no button like "finish" or "style another" or... nothing that would even hint this. Not even "Clear all fields" worked.
Opps! Too many equal signs. Should be fixed/improved on next release.
It would be nice to have a checkbox saying "Use shorthand" at each category, so that you can have ...
I will add that in at a later time, but that will take a while.
It would be nice to have a text box in which to enter element names. The dropdown should adjust itself to what is being typed, and the field should become yellow (or any other color you'd use to signal a warning) when there's no standard XHTML element called like that. It should still allow styling on it though.
Sorry, I don't understand. Do you mean something like a "Google Suggest" box?
I think the attributes area will make more sence if it's like
Ok, will fix that soon.
Also, remove the line above saying "Attributes..." and the line below saying "Type attribute value contents". You can make "Attributes..." the legend of a fieldset where it would appear more natural. As for "Type attribute value contents", spelling aside (it should be "Type the attribute's value"), with the above options, this doesn't make any sence (with or without the word "contents" which I'm guessing you've added to clear the ambiguity). At best, this can be made a "title" of the text box to serve as a hint to what this is for.
Put on the low-priority to do list.
It would be nice to see positioning implemented (it doesn't seem to work now), but make sure you also have a dropdown for whether the position is relative or absolute. I think it would make most sence if it's like...
Completely forgot about classification properties. You can't float stuff either right now. I'll add those in next.
Everywhere where there are units like pixels and ems, it would be nice to have a dropdown next to the textbox for selecting the exact unit.
I did think of that, and I'll add that in sometime.Next release should be sometime this afternoon.

• 1 month later...
Guest FirefoxRocks

Ok I did a whole lot of updates, mostly to appearance and usability, Fixed up some things and added classification properties.I want more feedback!

Archived