CSS3

Albion

Would you like to see CSS3 covered?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should CSS3 be covered here?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Hello all :)I just thought I would ask if anyone knew of a good CSS3 tutorial either on the net or in a book.Thanks in advance.A.

About the poll - I don't think they should write one until it is more widely supported. Anyway, as one of the members here discovered recently, W3Schools are working on a HTML 5 tutorial, so when that is finished maybe they will do a CSS 3 one. :)This site: http://css3.com/ doesn't seem to be too bad for learning CSS3.

This may be a chicken and the egg situation. Would browser people be quicker to introduce it if they saw there was wide-spread interest in it? One could argue that if no-body uses it browser people (M$, Firefox, Opera, etc) then they would not be as interested in introducing it as there would be no competitive need to do so but the more support shown for it (or anything else) the more urgent the need they would feel to support it.A.

Just for the record, the CSS 3 spec isn't even a completed draft yet.That said, the parts are interesting to read.I especially like the calc function, but I wish they'd expand on it. There ought to be some way to reference one definition from within another definition, and have it kept up dynamically, without the burden of javascript.How many times do we field questions about keeping the height of two different divs equal? The best answers always seem like kludges, not real solutions, reminding me of table layouts.Here's something like what I'd want:div.B {height:calc(div.A.height)}Okay, it looks a little javascripty, but you see what I mean.

Right now, the CSS3 declaration I like the most is the multiple backgrounds one:

background: url(top-left.gif) top left no-repeat,url(top-right.gif) top right no-repeat,url(bottom-left.gif) bottom left no-repeat,url(bottom-right.gif) bottom right no-repeat;

Just because browsers don't currently support it is no reason to not provide material on it is it? If they start now they can beat the mad rush and help get people ready to use it for when the browsers do support it.A.

Just for the record, the CSS 3 spec isn't even a completed draft yet.
Absolutely, forgot to mention that, if you check the CSS3 specs over here: http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-workYou'll see a lot of them are under working drafts too, and there are a few more that have been proposed.If it's not ready why teach it though Albion? If you're not sure why it's not working how many people here can help you? :)

Thanks for that. I have posted a question I have been puzzling over. it is about vertical text. I started a new thread with it to try and not mix start and end tags :)

If it's not ready why teach it though Albion? ...
Totally, 110% disagree.I don't see any problem in talking about CSS3 right now... at all. If someone decides to implement it, or implement parts of it, and then come to this forums trying to solve their problems, the first we're all going to say is: "CSS3 specs are not released yet buddy, use CSS2.1 instead and validate accordingly." But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be teaching people about it.It happens exactly the same whenever a brand new version of Firefox or IE is in development or about to come out: everyone talks about it and learns about it BEFORE the release.I don't see why it should be any different in this case with CSS3 specs.Peace, sigh...

Archived