ajax post method

djp1988

I am trying to adapt ajax to insert a comment and display it on submit of a form, the php page which is loaded in, has all the script for insert of comment and listing existing comments, but when I submit, I get a Method Not Allowed message, I have put obj.onsubmit = function(){showCustomer();} return falseto make the refresh of the page not happen as I want the javascript to block that default action, so I "Return false" as seen in a few bookshere's my code:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" /><title>Untitled Document</title><script type="text/javascript" src="xmlhttp.js"></script><script type="text/javascript">window.onload = startFunctions;function startFunctions(){	listeners();	}function listeners(){	var obj = document.getElementById("form1");	obj.onsubmit = function(){showCustomer();} return false;	}function showCustomer(){ 	xmlHttp=GetXmlHttpObject();		if (xmlHttp==null){		  alert ("Your browser does not support AJAX!");		  return;		  } 	var url="ajaxcommentPHP.php";	xmlHttp.onreadystatechange=stateChanged;	xmlHttp.open("POST",url,true);	xmlHttp.send(null);}function stateChanged(){ 	if (xmlHttp.readyState==4){ 	document.getElementById("comments").innerHTML=xmlHttp.responseText;	}}</script></head><body><form id="form1" name="form1" method="post" action="">  <p>	<textarea name="textarea" cols="25" rows="5"></textarea></p>  <p>	<input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit" /></p></form><div id="comments"></div></body></html>

i have modified it a bit with still the same error:

function showCustomer(){ 	xmlHttp=GetXmlHttpObject();		if (xmlHttp==null){		  alert ("Your browser does not support AJAX!");		  return;		  } 	var url="ajaxcommentPHP.php";	xmlHttp.onreadystatechange=stateChanged;	xmlHttp.open("POST",url,true);	http.setRequestHeader("Content-type", "application/x-www-form-urlencoded");	http.setRequestHeader("Content-length", params.length);	http.setRequestHeader("Connection", "close");	xmlHttp.send(params);}

It's actually easier than that. Unless there is a time when you will be submitting the form by the traditional route, don't use a form. Just use the form elements. Use a regular button for your "submit" button, and attach your listener to the button's onclick event.EDIT: I posted this before I saw post #3 above. I'm not sure about that first content header. And what is params? Are you sending something or just making a connection? I would have guessed you'd be sending the content of your textarea. You must do that explicitly.

1. The only Request Header you really need is this: xmlHttp.setRequestHeader("Content-Type", "application/x-www-form-urlencoded; charset=UTF-8");2. In this statement, xmlHttp.send(parameters);, the variable parameters isundefined. If in fact you are trying to send the content of your text area,you need to get a reference to that content. Something like this:myData = "message=" + document.getElementById("commentBox").value;xmlHttp.send(myData);3. There are some other errors as well, but they should clear up if you followthe first part of my suggestion.NOTE. This post has been edited to remove TWO errors I mention below.

Please see the changes I have made, I have replaced the event handler to an onclick for a normal button, I have then got rid of the <form> and just use the textarea and one button, I have deleted the return false for the onclick event, But it doesn't do what i want, it loads the page into the div but the post info isn't sent and retreived, my ajax-res.php page is as so:

<?php echo $_POST['textarea'];echo 'ddd';?>

i echo ddd just so i see the page load in, but the post data is empty

Almost there! I forgot something. We need to change this line:myData = document.getElementById("commentBox").value;to this:myData = "message=" + document.getElementById("commentBox").value;And in your PHP script, change this:echo $_POST['textarea'];to this (notice how the keywords are now the same):echo $_POST['message'];

Well, I'll be darned. Two mistakes in one thread. This one's ugly. When I told you to change your request header, I'd just been looking at the W3 Spec, and I copied their example. Just now, when I looked at one of my own AJAX scripts, I found the content header you'd been using. I guess it works because we set up the data in the same pattern as form data.So replace it again. :)xmlHttp.setRequestHeader("Content-Type", "application/x-www-form-urlencoded; charset=UTF-8");It really should work because I tested it in your document. Good luck!

Great yes it is working, so this line: myData = "message=" + document.getElementById("commentBox").value;I am setting the variable 'message' which php can pick up ?

What if i want to send another variable, i tried with no success this line: myData = "message=" + document.getElementById("commentBox").value + "name=" + document.getElementById("NameBox").value; xmlHttp.send(myData);And also tried: myData = "message=" + document.getElementById("commentBox").value; myName = "name=" + document.getElementById("NameBox").value; xmlHttp.send(myData, myName);

You came very close, both times. For each new value you want to send, you follow this syntax: key=value. Link multiples together with the & character. Like this:

myData  = "message=" + document.getElementById("commentBox").value;myData += "&";myData +=  "name=" + document.getElementById("NameBox").value;

And of course your script has get the value of the second key as well:

<?php   echo $_POST['message'] . "<br>" . $_POST['name'];?>

Now, we really should be testing for those values before we try to use them, so a more robust script would look something like this:

<?php   if (empty($_POST['message']) || empty($_POST['name']) ) {	  echo "Please complete both fields.";   } else {	  echo $_POST['message'] . "<br>" . $_POST['name'];   }?>

Wow, what would i do without DD ! (you're initials)I'm enjoying this conenction between js and php, I couldn't get my head around it previously, exciting new domain for me !

I prefer to make my query strings with Array.join, like so:

var parameters = ['foo=bar', 'name=Chris']; //any (or none) that need to go regardless//...if(condition){	parameters.push('this=that');}//...parameters = parameters.join('&');// Our array is now a string.if(method == 'POST'){	ajax.request(method, url, async);	ajax.send(parameters);}else if(method == 'GET'){	ajax.request(method, url + '?' + parameters, async);	ajax.send(null);}

An advantage of this is that all your ampersands are centralized to one string. This means that, as the new ';' separator is phased in, you can easily change your separator to ';&' or ';' as you see fit.Of course, I don't use all that code in every (nor any, I don't think) AJAX project of mine; I used the if-statements rather than multiple blocks of code separated by English sentences.

Archived