Transparent Table Background

himynameismark

You could use a semi-transparent PNG image for the background. There are RGBA and other transparency-describing notations in CSS 3 but they are even less well supported than alpha-channel PNGs.

Really? That could be just something to do with your syntax but in any case png is a good solution. But it's just personal preference I'd prefer to do it in CSS so all I have to do is just change a value. ^^

Yeah, I'd much rather do it in CSS or even HTML. Have you done it and made it work? Because I don't currently have any programs I can make a transparent PNG with, I would have to get somebody else to make me an image or download a trial version of Fireworks or Photoshop or something.

Okay, I just got the background to be transparent, but my dropdown menu is also transparent. I have tried setting the opacity to 100% on option, select, and p (I also put the dropdown box in a p tag to try this).Here's my CSS right now with all that in there.

<!-- Body -->body {background-image: url('bg/bg-blackpin.jpg')}<!-- Text -->p {font-family: verdana; arial; sans-serif; color: white; filter:alpha(opacity=100); -moz-opacity:1.00; opacity:1.00;}h1 {font-family: verdana; arial; sans-serif; color: white;}<!-- Links -->a:link {font-family: verdana; arial; sans-serif; color: blue; text-decoration: none;}a:visited {font-family: verdana; arial; sans-serif; color: blue; text-decoration: none;}a:hover {font-family: verdana; arial; sans-serif; color: red; text-decoration: none;}a:active {font-family: verdana; arial; sans-serif; color: blue; text-decoration: none;}<!-- Tables -->table {border: none; background-color: black; filter:alpha(opacity=75); -moz-opacity:.75; opactiy:.75;}td {padding: 1cm 0cm;}<!-- Drop-Down -->select {filter:alpha(opacity=100); -moz-opacity:1.00; opacity:1.00;}option {filter:alpha(opacity=100); -moz-opacity:1.00; opacity:1.00;}

Yeah, I'd much rather do it in CSS or even HTML. Have you done it and made it work? Because I don't currently have any programs I can make a transparent PNG with, I would have to get somebody else to make me an image or download a trial version of Fireworks or Photoshop or something.
Have you tried a free software called GIMP? It's like a more simple version of photoshop, and perhaps you can do that in there. Although I haven't used it in a million years so I can't tell you much more than that, I know there are people here who use it. Also i believe the reason it's transparent entirely is because you possibly have your drop downs inside your table, and with your table set to transparent, it'll basically inherit that if that makes sense? That is how you've built your table right?

Yeah, it looks like I'll have to use the PNG as a background if I decide for sure to make it transparent. I'm working on figuring out how to make the background have a border color with only an outlining border (as opposed to dividing my cells) in CSS just because I don't feel like doing it in HTML. I know how to in HTML but not CSS and I can't seem to find it in the tutorials.

Wow, I just figured out how to do this, and it seems we were all thinking way to hard into it. I created two table designs in the CSS file. One was "table.trans" and the other was "table.opaque". The former was the background table which was basically just table tags around the content table, or the opaque table. There was no background for the opaque table, making the transparent table it's background, but the text in the opaque table was still very clear.Thanks for the suggestions and ideas though!

Archived