MySql Vs. MS Sql Server both with Tomcat

judacoor

Hey!!I'm building an app (web-based) in java which needs Tomcat to show the presentation layer. Now, the two database engines that I could use are ms sql server 2005 or MySql 5.X.As you guys know sql server runs on windows and mysql runs on anything, now mysql is free and sql server runs for free (on sql express) if your database is smaller than 4Gb.My app is not going to have that much users online at first (around 100), but I expect it to gain strenght and popularity within a few months, the workload and information that we are going to be dealing with is not that big, just text and stuff showed in the proper way to make a business more productive. So I'd guess that we would reach the 4GB limit in about 6 - 12 months......running properly with enough users.So far, you'd probably say.........go with mysql!But the thing is that I've searching for a stored procedure generator for mysql and haven't had any luck whatsoever! And the problem is that the database, though is not that big (50 tables), has approx 50*5 = 250 stored procedures!!And if you start by typing that thing by hand........man!So far I've tested:CodeSmith with NetTiers (oriented to .Net, but can get DB info from MySql) although it ended up NOT generating SQL syntax when used with MySql, it just generated C# classes and a bunch of stuff, but not the SPs!!CodeSmith using another Template for mySql SP generation. It did generate them, but when I executed the script in mysql console it gave me nothing but errors!MyGeneration. Generated the SPs, but again, when running the script only errors!Intelligent Converter (doesn't generate SPs, just scripting the DB along with inserts)SQLWays: It's a program that 'translates' SqlServer script text to MySql, so I planned to generate the stored procedures in SqlServer with CodeSmith (on NetTiers, which works great) and then translate that script to MySql............but it doesn't do the thing right: whenever it found a ASC instruction (as in SqlServer autoincrement PK) it just stopped translating and report an error.Lattice SP Gen or something. This one is supposed to be good, but I couldn't get it to connect with mysql database, and besides they give you a trial wich trims column names to 7 chars.....the full version is 300 USD...........So there's no easy way to generate the SPs in MySql........................and doing it by hand would be just soooo complicated......specially if in the future you change or improve your DB.........So I'm considering to just go with Sql Server 2005, for I only need to 'do' the database and nettiers would make all the SPs, and after a small revision of them they would be all set!Now, the two cons about ms sql server are that:1. When the DB gets close to 4 GB I'd have to purchase a licence for the standard version, which is 6'000 USD2. Sql server needs to run on a Windows server, and people have been telling me that Tomcat doesn't run very good on windows platform, that it consumes too much resources........yet, I haven't verified this.Now..........the plan is that by the time the DB reaches the 4Gb we would have the financial power to buy the sql server full licence.....PLEASE HELP ME ON THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!WHAT SHOULD I DO??THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!!

Archived