CSS change with TV?

Kingy

An interesting question popped up recently whilst I was designing the interface I was working on.You know how on TV's you can change the way the image fits on screen with different zooms?Will that effectively 'break' the interface at all? I got a working script ready that detects certain screen resolutions and changes a stylesheet with it.However if it can't tell that the user has changed the way he zooms in that'll cause a world of trouble...would stuff like @media tv help other than just resolution detection?

I would just develop a plain ol' style sheet and base everything off of em's.That way if the user increases/decreased their font size, your layout wont break. You may also want to consider positioning vs. floats for the same reason.

Thing is the main objective is to have an interface which will primarily work on tv that's also compatible with mobile.I'm not worried about screen and handheld, my concern is with people use tv and they change their screen settings if you get what I mean.Like the different widescreen stretches and zooms?

when a TV does that, it is literally just stretching the same res to take up more (or less) space, nothing but the TV knows that it isn't the same, including the browser you are viewing the page on, your page will just be distorted/stretched/shrunk accordinglyin other words, if you have a picture of a guy on your webpage, he is going to look fat if the user stretches their TV for 4:3 to 16:9 res, same as it would for say a standard cable imageI wouldn't worry about it either way anyway, I would be $1k that less then .5% of people view websites on their TV

Right so there won't be a way for css or scripts to adapt to this distortion.That's worrying, I don't mind some stretch but if on some tv hides elements neccessarily for function then it'll obvoiusly cause some problems you see, which is why I need to know. This interface I'm building is primarily controlled on tv via a box you see, so in my very case it is a bigger issue unfortunately...It can also be controlled by computer or phone on the same network.

things will only be covered if the user doesn't have any idea how the stretch on their tv works (ie: they have it set to a 'zoom' stretch, which will cut some off all sides, or they have a widescreen signal already and they have the tv set to stretch horizontally, cutting off the edges)you can try and try all you want, but ultimately, you can't prevent customers/viewers from being stupid

Archived