get xslt to display xml paragraph properly

mstransky

where to begin, I have made a huge asp dashboard which creates a database in xml. that xml is is formatted by css and xslt via a classic asp page.for example I can <textarea> say 4 paragraphs up to 50 paragraphs, the problem is if I use strict xslt it removes all the carriage returns from the xml file and shows an article as one big paragraph.I was able to use xslt as <textarea> value of node </textarea> and it would display all the paragraph's properly but is stuck in a text area box with scroll bars. kind a trashy.Q. is there a way to get xslt to do the same with out a box & scroll bars? or set the textarea to auto width & height?------------2nd problem how to get an xml file to except European characters without dropping that character?what would be the best unicode to use? I tried a few different unicode formats but some locked up, is there any link that has an example of European xml,xslt coding that works?asp page edit loads xml file and saves back to xml file.then asp loads xml with xslt to display the xml unicode to show proper characters.and example of that text area with xslt.http://www.wartimepress.com/archive-public...;MID=Our%20Navyclick on any article and the page loads but has the article in that visible textbox and the scroll bar, I try setting the scroll bar to auto width and height, even try border"0" but got no where.we have about a couple 100,000's of images to upload and articles to paste in the database. also some in other languages like Italian, German, Russian and stuff like that.any help?

This is really an HTML issue. That is the rendering agent. XSLT simply creates markup language which is then being interpreted by that agent.You may want to use <PRE> tags instead of <TEXTAREA> to preserve your whitespace. I suggest that you simply get the look you want first in HTML and then use XSLT to create that markup

This is really an HTML issue. That is the rendering agent. XSLT simply creates markup language which is then being interpreted by that agent.You may want to use <PRE> tags instead of <TEXTAREA> to preserve your whitespace. I suggest that you simply get the look you want first in HTML and then use XSLT to create that markup
Thank you for some feedback. I will look into the <PRE> and those other articles about preserving white spaces. If that all works out then I will just need to find some examples of European xml unicode samples that work. Than by comparing the code I could modify our asp, xml, xslt unicode to except those characters which unicode 8 or 16 keep dropping when saving the xml file update.

Archived