Style Sheets for Mac VS PC

doaner6

Can I define a style sheet for use on a Mac VS one for use on a PC? I find there are enough differences that it would be very handy to be able to do this - can this be done with CSS now?Thanks!

I don't see a need to. The issue is not actually CSS for Macs and CSS for PCs, it's a browser issue, since browsers are programmed so differently that they show websites in many different ways. Not because 'PCs are so different than Macs, oh man... these PC users, how I hate them', lol.HTML and CSS, and, well, practically any Web based concept in today's world, is based in scalability, interoperability and standardization of processes so ANTYHING and EVERYTHING should look and behave exactly the same no matter wich OS, browser, or 'system', is displayed/used in.And no, it wouldn't be handy to have several CSS files doing the same but for different OS: have you thought about updates? Have you thought of upgrades? What if you decide to redo you website from zero again?... I would dare to say that the majority of Web Designers create their/our website from scratch every time they/we decide to upgrade our current website version. Can you imagine redoing a new style sheet for a specific OS? That's just a total waste of time and energy... and it goes against the universal concept of having everything you do work and behave exactly the same in every OS and browser or 'system' as I said before.In other words, I don't recommend you go the route you are mentioning.

All good points - I guess I forgot to mention I am trying to create a CSS nav menu that looks the same in all browsers AND on both PC and Mac. I can get it looking the same in all browsers on either a PC or Mac, but when it looks good on PC, it is too small and too narrow, then when it looks good on Mac it is too large and wide on PC. That's my only reason for wanting to do this, I agree - I would prefer to not do anything like this at all.Thanks!

I don't see a need to. The issue is not actually CSS for Macs and CSS for PCs, it's a browser issue, since browsers are programmed so differently that they show websites in many different ways. Not because 'PCs are so different than Macs, oh man... these PC users, how I hate them', lol.HTML and CSS, and, well, practically any Web based concept in today's world, is based in scalability, interoperability and standardization of processes so ANTYHING and EVERYTHING should look and behave exactly the same no matter wich OS, browser, or 'system', is displayed/used in.And no, it wouldn't be handy to have several CSS files doing the same but for different OS: have you thought about updates? Have you thought of upgrades? What if you decide to redo you website from zero again?... I would dare to say that the majority of Web Designers create their/our website from scratch every time they/we decide to upgrade our current website version. Can you imagine redoing a new style sheet for a specific OS? That's just a total waste of time and energy... and it goes against the universal concept of having everything you do work and behave exactly the same in every OS and browser or 'system' as I said before.In other words, I don't recommend you go the route you are mentioning.

Then you need to understand more what are the issues with the browsers/SO you are testing. You're using one CSS file and that's how it should be done, but the darn browsers are the ones giving out the headaches. Sometimes you need to 'sacrifice'.You can also validate your CSS file and have it comply with the W3C standards, if browsers just don't want to show your page right, try CSS workarounds (DO NOT use hacks), and if that doesn't work... then that's what I mean by 'sacrifices': leave the page as is for that browser and go on with your work.Later.

Archived