Non file entries in XSL file

ameliabob

I am trying to put checkboxes in a table and to have them checked or not depending on a field in the XML fileThe code that I am using is:

<xsl:if test="used == 'true'" >                                	<input type="checkbox" checked=true name="able" value="yes"  />                                <otherwise>                             		<input type="checkbox" name="able" value="yes"  />                                </otherwise>                                    </xsl:if>    

The field that I am testing is "used" and its value will either be "true" or "false" (the words). As you may imagine I am getting nasty diagnostics coming back.

Also note that you're using <otherwise>, when you should be using <xsl:otherwise> and in a choose instead, like so:

<xsl:choose>		<xsl:when test="used = 'true'">			<input type="checkbox" checked="true" name="able" value="yes"  />		</xsl:when>		<xsl:otherwise>			<input type="checkbox" name="able" value="yes"  />		</xsl:otherwise>	</xsl:choose>

In addition, I notice that the only difference in your case in the checked attribute. Because of that, I'd suggest you use xsl:attribute conditionally instead:

<input type="checkbox" name="able" value="yes">		<xsl:if test="used = 'true'">			<xsl:attribute name="checked">checked</xsl:attribute>		</xsl:if>	</input>

• 3 weeks later...
Also note that you're using <otherwise>, when you should be using <xsl:otherwise> and in a choose instead, like so:
	<xsl:choose>		<xsl:when test="used = 'true'">			<input type="checkbox" checked="true" name="able" value="yes"  />		</xsl:when>		<xsl:otherwise>			<input type="checkbox" name="able" value="yes"  />		</xsl:otherwise>	</xsl:choose>

In addition, I notice that the only difference in your case in the checked attribute. Because of that, I'd suggest you use xsl:attribute conditionally instead:

<input type="checkbox" name="able" value="yes">		<xsl:if test="used = 'true'">			<xsl:attribute name="checked">checked</xsl:attribute>		</xsl:if>	</input>

Would the attribute transfer as showing the checkmark in the checkbox?

• 2 weeks later...
Would the attribute transfer as showing the checkmark in the checkbox?
Um... yes?What XSLT in general does is to generate another XML or (X)HMTL code and that code is then parsed. Try to do the same in a plain XHTML document, and if it happens there, it will happen when in XSLT as well.As far as I know,
	<input type="checkbox" name="able" value="yes" checked="checked" />

is indeed a valid XHTML that shows a checked checkbox.

Archived